Trying to get pregnant with Hypothyroidism

Just wanted some feeback on anyone who has hypothyroidism or knows someone who has it and was trying to get pregnant. I am waiting for my levels to come down before I start trying however I dont want to get my nerves in a tizzy about this before I know more about it. I just found out about this 6 weeks ago and have been on meds. The doctor just increased my meds to help bring the levels down even more. I wanted to start trying this month but need to wait 6 more weeks. Let me know of any stories (good or bad) with anyone with hypothyroid. Thanks
I am  28 yr old, I found out in the beging of june i have Hypothyriodism and it is now under controll and was wanting to know if anyone has been able to get pregnant right after getting there hypothyriodism undercontrol if not how lond did it take
I have had hypothyroidism my entire life. i am 22 years old I was born without a thyroid and me and my boyfriend are trying to conceive. How do i go about asking my doctor about this? How long will it take after i get my thyroid under control?
Hi. I have hypothyroidism too and is on meds. I wanted to know were you ever successful in getting pregnant?
I have been trying to get pregnant for almost 2 years now and only recently did they found out that I had an underactive thyroid.  I am on meds and my levels have come down tremendously, but I was wondering if I can still fall pregnant even though my levels are not quite there but almost.
I was diagnosed with Hypothroidism in June 2010 after I had a miscarriage. I had three miscarriages prior to that. I do have a 13 year old daughter so I know my thyroid was not underactive then. However, my doctor said it is possible to get pregnant it just might take awhile or I might need fertility treatments to help.  My periods are irregular as well so it makes it hard to figure out when I am ovulating. I track my periods every month to see how long my cycles are and when I will possibly ovulate. I heard you should try to have intercourse every other day for the 2 weeks before you ovulate. Some months you might not even ovulate! Now that I am tracking monthly I will try for 6 more months but if nothing happens I think I might get some help. Has anyone had a successful pregnancy AFTER diagnosis of hypothyroidism? Also, does having this affect the baby in any way?
i was diagnosised with hyper after i lost my baby at 18 weeks sept 02.10 had two m/c shortly after decided to do radation and now i have hypo i am 27 weeks pg. with lost of pg. problems but nothing to do with being hypo. So yes you can get pregnant with hypo and even though I have it it seems like it hasn't slowed down anything for me.
hey guys im 20 years old and have just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, i came of the pill 5 months ago and havent hadf a period since they sent me for blood tests and realised i have hypothyroidism. my partner and i have been trying to get pregnant for 5months and have had no joy is this down to the no periods or the thyroid any tips or advice please!!! very stressed and worried! x
hi, i am 21 and i have hypothyroidism my whole life, i am now engaged and my fiance has hypothyroidism aswell, any one now wat are my chances of having i child as we been trying for a yr and hlf and nothing

thanks
I am 6 weeks pregnant and having thyroid.

My levels are
Total Triiodothyronine (T3) - 1.21 ng/ml
Total Thyroxine (T4) - 11.50 ug/dl
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) - 0.01 uIU/ml

Pls suggest me solution....

Santhi
Does it mess up your periods and is it like menopause?
Hi i have hyperthyroidism,was diagnosed 2weeks ago, we've been trying for a baby for 3months now but with no success, just wanted no if any one else is trying an its not working. oh i have 3 children so i no i can have them. Thank you in advance
Hi everyone, i was diagnosed with Hashis last year and have finally got my hormone levels under control. I was on the pill (contraceptive) for 2 years and now have stopped as i would like to have a baby. One thing my specialist told me was that some woman with hashis develop premature ovarian failure (POF) (no ovulation, therefore no period and no baby). i havent had my period since stopping the pill and im worried it could be POF. Has anyone heard about this?
I had hyperthyroidism, til I had the surgery 6 yrs ago. Before that I have problems even getting pregnant. Once they removed my thyroid glands, I got pregnant within that next year, but miscarriaged, also miscarriaged two more times after that period as well. I couldn't believe it, cause my ob/gyn knew I had thyroid disease n did nothing to prevent me from miscarring. So stay on top of your ob/gyn to montior your thyroid before you try and after you succeed... By 3 loses.
i to have hypothyroidism i found out after a year of trying to get pregnant with no luck. my ob found out and before i could start meds i had finally got pregnant however four months along i mc. i noticed one of ur questions was about irregular periods i two only had maybe two periods in a year time span! but since my mc i have had a normal period first and now month two im having a period that has seemed to stay for two weeks! doc says that my thyriod is off track yet again. ill be praying for you i understand the pain that goes with the desire to have a baby!!! good luck
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease in March 2009 and began taking Synthroid. It took them a little while to regulate me, but I eventually did become regulated around July 2011. My boyfriend and I started trying to have a baby in August and conceived 6 weeks later. Thankfully, my levels remained stable so far without having to increase my meds. I am 15 weeks pregnant and baby is measuring big and doing well. I definitely recommend regulating your levels and then getting them checked the moment you become pregnant and every 6 weeks after. If you stay medicated your pregnancy will progress fine.
I have Hashimoto's and am 27. I was diagnosed 11 years ago at 16. I have had two children and actually had to decrease my synthroid with the first pregnancy so I stopped taking it. After my first child, my periods were irregular, not breastfeeding, and had about 4 in 9 months when I got pregnant with number two. Had a normal pregnancy off of meds but about 2 months after I had number two I crashed. My tsh was 97 and I couldn't keep my eyes open. I started taking the synthroid again. My youngest is now 6. I had one mc about 4 years ago and have been ttc for over a year this time. I found a pcp who lets me adjust my meds by my levels and how I feel. She let me start taking cytomel along with synthroid and feel better then ever. Except my cycles kept getting longer, between 33-45 days between periods. I adjusted my meds after having labs drawn last month and this cycle was actually 31 days!!! I'm so excited, I was able to take my thyroid into my own hands and adjust meds based on what I think my levels should be and it worked!!! I can't wait to see how long it takes to get preggo now that my levels are better. Do your research, join a thyroid forum and find a doctor who is willing to work with you. Of course I am a RN so that might be why my doctor lets me change doses when I ask!!! I'm so proud of myself though!!!
Hi..

My situation is similar. Can you please let me know about the delivery and health of your baby?

--
Minipriyanka
i am also hypothyroid, i have 2 healthy babies, i didnt not know i was hypothyroid until after my first was born and he was fine i had a great pregnancy with no problems. my doc didnt act like it was a huge deal so i ofcorse NEVER took my synthroid like i was supposed to the low and behold i was on birth control and PREGNANT even with my messed up periods (maybe one every 4 months) had yet another safe easy and full term pregnancy. i think it is just that everyones body is different! i wish you good luck!
HI, I'm 22 and I have had hypothyroidism since I was 15. I get my levels checked often. I'm just wondering if I'm on the correct dosage will I still have a hard time getting pregnant? Will I still have a high risk of having miscarriages?? Thanks for your help!!
How long were you on medication before you got pregnant?
Hey I'm 21 years old and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 18. I have I guess an unusual case I suppose you would say, instead of being over weight I'm underweight, I'm only 100 pds an 5'5.. I just wanted to know if anyone else is like that and are able to have children? I really want them one day in near future, I hear so many horrible stories about not being able to get pregnant with this disease..?
Brooke1717,
I just got diagnosed several months ago too and I'm in the same boat. I'm 5'7" and only 105 lbs. I lost a lot of weight. And I'm only 24 years old so I'm wondering the same exact thing!
I am 36 years old and am about 7 weeks pregnant (totally unexpected).. I have Hashimoto's and high blood pressure.. both controlled by meds.. but I think my hashimoto's is acting up.. my thighs and hands go numb.. I have 3 beatiful children a 14 yr old son, a 7 yr old son (whom we just found out has hashimoto's too with a tsh of 686.2!) and a 6 year old daughter.. I am scared to death!  Not only for this pregnancy but for myself (I know that sounds selfish).. I don't know why I feel so nervous about this pregnancy.. I just don't feel good about it at all.. my husband isn't helping matters much.. he told me he's scared something is going to happen to me.. and he is not capable of taking care of them (especially the way I do)..  Am I over thinking..  Am I silly to worry about this?  I was not worried about like this with any of my other pregnancies.
hi, i'm 17 years old and i have a over active thyroid, i know all the facts about hypothyroidism, and i am extremely scared in many ways, i know i am very young to have a baby, and i accept that i have to wait, i have always wanted to be a mummy, and i am scared now i wont be able to be, or that i will be effecting my baby through my illness, i like everybody want a healthy baby, but im so scared i wont, as soon as this medication is settling, in 2 years ish me and my partner have said we will try, i'm young yes, but im already living with him and we are planning of getting engaged soon, so we are very strong, i have explained to him that i don't know how i would deal with a miscarriage knowing how common they are with this illness, is there a chance i will go through pregnancy and birth normally and will have no problems and my child will be fine? thank you. sophie x
I have hyper thyroid too and i have had 3 miscarriages and i was told it would take awhile as well i don't know what to do. I have been trying for 2 long years. Anyone have any suggestions?
I am 22 years old and my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for the past 5-6 months. We found out at that beggining that I have hypotyroidism. My levels were normal but them shot up to 44.9 within three months! then they lowered to an 8 and are now a 4. Every month is another dissappointment because nobody else we know has this conditon and i'm just looking for support. I also have type 1 diabetes and have been keeping that under perfect control. I go ever 4 weeks to have my blood pulled to check my thyroid. I am just hoping that by the end of this month everything will check out ok and by next month we'll have a positive pg test. I sympathize for everyone who is going through this exact same thing and God bless the ones who have suffered misscarriages.
hi i m cherry i m 21yrs old , by birth i m suffering frm hypothyroidism i m getting fear that i will become pg or not aftr marriage plz reply me
I'm not sure if you have managed to get pregnant or not, but you need to get your TSH below 2.5 before you get pregnant. I had 2 miscarriages before I found out that I have hypothyroidism. Within 2 months of stabilizing my dose, I got pregnant for the third time and now have a 2 year old little girl. You will need to have your levels checked every 4-6 weeks and 4 weeks after any adjustment to your dose. During your first trimester your dose may increase by about 25% to 30% or about 2 extra doses a week. And here's a tip, the morning that you get your Big Fat Positive pregnancy test, double your dose and take 2 pills and call your doctor to have blood work done. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 4 years ago, but I'm also a pharmacist so I've done the research too! I'm now pregnant again and keeping my fingers crossed....I hope this helps you and I'm wishing you so much luck!  Take care.
i only read the first couple of posts so I appologize if I'm repeating someone but this is what I have learned...
first of all I am 28 and I was diagnosed as hypothyroid at 11 months old. My endocrinologist told me to take my synthroid when I first get up in the morning and 30 minutes before I eat or drink ANYTHING except water and at least 4 hours before taking any vitamins and minerals. Food and water can disrupt the proper absorption of synthroid. i am getting married in 2 weeks and we want to start trying to have a baby ASAP just incase I cant so that we can find that out sooner than later.
My main symptom for hypothyroidism was weight gain.  I knew that something was wrong when I started working out a lot (P90X) 7 days a week and was still gaining weight.  After I was diagnosed I realized that the daily naseau and the aches and pains were caused by hypothyroidism as well.
Im 26 years old and hadthe radioactive iodine pill to kill of my thyroid, worst mistake id rather be hyper than hypo.  been taking synthroid for 3 to 4 years now and just reacently got my birth control implant taken out.  took  hormone pills to bring on a period.  it took a month after that to have a peroid that only lasted 4 days and was lite. then a month past and no cycle. just had a cycle.  me and my husband want to have a  baby together . i had two boys when i was in my teenage years 14 and 16 yrs old.  but want  to be able to give my husband  a child  of his own.  im so scared i wont be able to do that please help me out with any advice tha nks  amanda
Finally someone with similar problems as me. We are also TTC for about a year, I have been getting regular periods since forever although i had a long adjustment time after going off the pill, not sure if Im ovulating (dr said chances are that i am, because I can set a clock to when my period starts). Last time my TSH levels were checked they were alright. Whats really upsetting me is everyone else seems to be popping kids out no probs, but we've practically been trying for longer. Are you going to a doctor or specialist yet?
Hi i have hypothyroid since 2010 but first i was hyperthyroid  ive been trying to get prego n nothing docs. Told me i cant get prego cause of my hypo.  i really lost hopes ob getting prego i mean i thank god i have one 6yr old boy but just wanted aleast one more do u think its true what the docs told me
hey my name is Melony an i have hypothyroid as well everyone is a little different when it comes to levels only YOUR doctor will know your body like my doctor says I'm fine but my levels are well over 200.0 which is suposable  fine lol i cant conceive or ever have kids she said and if i do ill have a miscarige or the child will have a birth defect. i found out i had hypothyroid when i was 16 and i am about to be 21. and i only weigh 120 so everyone is a little different, come to find out you can switch as well. people can be hypothyroid for year then become hyperthyroid. it all depends on what your body can handle to regulate your body to what your body considers normal. if that makes sense i hope what i said helped an didnt confus you even more
Your post matched me perfectly. I am going thru the same things you were going through back in 2004. I was told I had hypothyroidism about 6 weeks ago and my meds were just recently increased. I will have been married a year in June and went off of my birth control in September! Its crazy that we have almost the exact timeline!
My doctor never told me that I needed to wait or anything. As a matter of fact, my doctor never told me anything about it :( I've found out everything by searching on the internet.
I was just curious if you had any problems conceiving after you had made yours posts? And if you had a perfect, heathy, pregnancy?
I gained 65 pounds in 6 months :( Thats how I knew something was wrong. Went to the doctor an bam - I have the hypothyroidism. I feel like crap all the time. Always tired, sluggish, kind of moody. My DR just recently increased my meds as my hormone level was still too high but I feel worse being on this new dose. I felt a lot better on the previous dose but im guessing my body is just still trying to regulate. I am hoping to get it all straightened out. I am wanting to soon have a baby. Have been slowly trying and nothing..
I have Hypo Thyroid and I was pregnant but I didn't know. I had a miscarriage and since I haven't thought about having a baby,  if it happens it happens if not only God Almighty knows. Put one thing I will tell those who want to conceive...Just dont think about it and let it happen naturally. I thought i was pregnant when i saw my period only for 3 to 4 days and its was light and dark brown. I read so much about stories of short brown and light periods and negative pregnancy...Sometimes you have to not think about it and let God give you a baby girl or boy...Just in his time. I have faith.  I will someday no matter how old i am I will have a baby.  Blessing to those who are planning. Be Blessed and think positive.
My first pregnancy was ectopic.docters removed my baby and close my right tube.from three years iam waiting for another pregnancy and I have hypothyroid.is there any chance for pregnancy and what should I have to do? Pls help me
Im clarissa 24 years old i have Hypothyroidism.. since i was 17... got operated and Radio active iodine.. i am planning to settle anytime but i have  problem getting pregnant.. we really wanted to have a baby.. but until now i am not getting pregnant yet.. :(
I was just increased in my thyroid medication from 150 to 175 how lng will it take to start working so we can get pregnatn?
Hello, My name is Ashley and I was just reading on your comment that you have Hypothyroidism and I was just wandering how you got pregnant with it? I have it and am having problems conceiving, I'm really wanting to become pregnant. But I just don't know what to do to help me :/. Is there anyway you can give me some ideas or tips on how to? I would love it!!
Royal maca by whole world botanicals helped me with hypothyroid pretty much corrected it when taken correctly. I have had hypothyroid for 5 years and have two kids and never been on meds because maca naurally balances hormones of the thyroid and Pancreas.

Hello Everyone,  I am 30 yrs old and I have Hypo disease. I have had this for a few years now and I have been unsuccessful in getting pregnant for the past 2 yrs now. According to the dr's my level are normal and where they want them to be, but I have not had a MS for 4 mths now. I don't know what to do. I really want to conceive because my husband and I love kids, but it seems impossible.
hi i was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 months ago, i am getting treated for it and manage to stabolise my TSH level, i have always ovulated and my period was regular (some months late) but always there, however now that i am stable i have been trying to get pregnant for 4 months and no luck, i do have a 20months old daughter but desperately want another one. i was told by the doctor that it could take a while for the body to get back to normal state even with a normal TSH so, i hope that answered your question, dont worry too much beacuse that could effect your chances even more,  and best of luck to both of us
I have hypothyroidism and before I found I had been trying to conceive well I never could and it took over my whole life I was always wandering why, until about a month ago. Im taking meds for it and also birth control but I want to try to conceive again but ive only been taking birth control for about a month... And dont know weather my periods will stay regular or if i will go back to going a year or more without having one and truly dont know if i could even have a baby only being on my meds for a month? can someone give me some advise... thanks
hi i want to get pregnant and I am hypo. i was wondering how long did it take you to realize you were pregnant?
I am 27 years old, I was actually born with out a thyroid and I never knew that it could cause you to not being able to conceive, until I started to try and get pregnant. All of this information is so interesting. I am going to the gyno. Monday so wish me luck, I am hoping they can do something and we get pregnant soon, so beyond ready to make my family bigger (3 furbabies)... haha
Hi everyone.these forums are new to me this is a first for me anyway here goes...
We had ivf second lot one child from first.I had 2 embryos put in with a frozen embryo transfer.I bled on day 8 and also through to day 11- present 1 week today.mild period pain cramping one day after transfer.Pregnancy test on day 14, faint positive but noticeable.hcg done day after came back as 69 was told its fine.I knew it was low  progesterone 17.second hcg 2 days later 18 was told I'm having a miscarriage.I tried to say could I be losing a vanishing twin was told no.they Wont take any more hcg tests,no u/s nothing.I have a belly that's expanding at 4 weeks.now would be 4 weeks 4 days.not sure what to do.I'm on ivf climaval and progesterone and was told to stop treatment yesterday when told I was miscarrying.I'm thinking I have lost a twin and one is still inside so have kept going with the climaval and progesterone just in case .has anyone else had this? Also I have underactive thyroid am on levothyroxine now 100mg and hydrocortisone tablets 20mg a day.Would love there still to be a baby in there.
I have had hypothyroidism since my middle 20s, now in my upper 30s. After a few months of getting married, I noticed my hair falling out a lot again. Went to the doctor to find out that my thyroid levels were very low. He doubled the dose of my medication and and within a month and a half I was pregnant. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but possibly. My periods are pretty regular, between 24-28 days never late. So the one day I was late, woke up extremely early to check and had a bright positive. I was only 4 weeks at the time. I was high risk during pregnancy and my doctors were all very worried for me and my baby cause I got hypertension and gestational diabetes. They didn't think I'd make it past 30 weeks but I delivered a beautiful healthy baby boy naturally and am so blessed! All I can say is, don't give up hope! Miracles do happen!
Hello everyone I have hypothyroidism and was actually able to conceive naturally at age 25. I'm now 29. I tracked my ovulation cycle I watched what I was eating and I was exercising. On top of that I was also taking my medication the way it's indicated. On an empty stomach no eating for 1 hour and daily around the same time.... Getting pregnant was hard and it did take about 1-2 years of trying. I would elevate my legs after being intimate as well... We are now trying for our second baby and let me tell you it's been hard... Don't lose your faith ladies it will happen. Just take care of yourself/body. It will know when you are ready