Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Tubal Blockage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Tubal Blockage

Last year I took some test on the suspension that I couldn't have children. I have really messed myself up being young and stupid. I was diagnosed with Condeloma HPV, when I was sixteen. I've also had PID. My test last year revealed that both my tubes were blocked. The doctor stated that if an egg does reach my Uterus that it's possible it wouldn't stick to my Uterus wall because of the fluids that the scaring in my tubes may be releasing. He suggested I have IVF performed, they would cut my tubes from my Uterus. This way my uterus would be protected from the fluids if I chose the IVF. He also stated I had a Pollup, that scared me. My thing is my insurance doesn't cover it and I can not afford IVF. Is there any other alternatives? Why can't I just get tubal correction done? Now I'm 2 months late with my period with a negative blood test.
Are your tubes blocked throughout the entire length?   Is any part of your tube good?

I'll be honest with you too,   the tubal correction surgery you are referring to is generally not covered by insurance health plans.  

They can unblock your tubes depending on blockage and location, but not covered by ins.

They can cut away bad part of tube and reconnect good ends together (on same tube), but that's not covered by insurance and you may not even have enough good tube to work with.  

Your best bet is the IVF or moving to a state that mandates infertility coverage such as IVF (yes, I realize that's far fetched, but I've thought about it myself sometimes.)   Or you can get a job somewhere, which has benefits for IVF treatement.

However, the removal of your tubes if medically necessary is covered by insurance plan, and removal of polyp.  Polyps are nothing to be especially alarmed about.    It doesn't sound like your doctor that that clearing out the tube by using a catheter would be helpful.  

Of course, I'm not an expert on this, your best resource is your doctor.   It doesn't sound like he's trying to push you towards IVF to make money.  

My x-rays that I have, from what it looks to me is that they are blocked the entire lenght. I'm in Chicago Il. I was at Mercy Hospital the doctor that did this exam/x-ray inserted die through my uterus to see how far the die would go. The x-ray showed the die building up at the entrance, what it lokks to me, of my tube. Then he would try and push the die to see if or how much my tubes would open. All you see is a very thin line running into my ovaries. Both sides are the same. I guess thats why he said that if an egg does reach my uterus it may not stick to the uterus wall due to the fluids from the scaring.
Hi can I ask u something how did they first find ou about your tubal issue?
He may be correct but before doing anything drastic, I would get a second opinion.  Especially since you said there was a thin stream of the dye going through.  Another dr might think there are more options.  It is a huge decision and it is best to have as much info as possible. Best of luck to you.  
I am currently havng treatment for PID that has been untreated for a while.  I would like to know the extentof any possible blockage from scar tissue I may have.  What is the dye procedre called, is that covered on health insurance.  Are you actively tryng for a baby?  My husband doesnt want us to have a kid yet so his view is not to investigate the possible infertility until is time to try.  But being a woman i want to find out now.  I am 26.