Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Tubal Ligation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Tubal Ligation

I have had my tubes tied in 2004. But now for some reason I feel pregnant i don't know if it is wishful thinking or if I really am. Can u even get pregnant after u have had ur tubes tied is that possible I'm so lost I don't know what to think or do I think I'm going crazy someone please help me
There are some chances of getting pregnant after a tubal. It is said it is more common in later years, say 10 years or so, because your tubes can actually repair themselves and grow back together. So, yes, it is possible.
The failure rate for tubal ligation is about 1.4 percent overall. So, while the chances of getting pregnant are very low, they aren't zero percent. Women who have had a tubal ligation and subsequently get pregnant are at increased risk for an ectopic pregnancy.
There is approximately a 1.4-2% chance of becoming pregnant after a tubal ligation.

Tubal ligation, regardless of whether the tubes are cut, burned, clipped, banded, or tied, is about 99 percent effective, meaning that about 1 percent of women will conceive an unplanned pregnancy after tubal ligation. The tubes have evolved in such a way as to try to heal themselves (like when the ends are cut and sutured, they may rejoin after sutures dissolve), and sometimes a tract(mostly endometriosis) develops that allows egg and sperm to meet. Hence there is an increased risk of having an ectopic pregnancy.

I feel that an examination by a gynecologist and ultrasound uterus will be the best to confirm your pregnancy even if it is ectopic.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.