Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Uterine Polyps might be why I miscarried~!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hello everyone. Well last night I went to the docs and he found a uterine polyp in my uterus. it is very small...smaller then 1 cm. i have read a lot online...it seems like usually anything over 2 cm is a cause for cocern. I have also read a lot about it being a possible risk/cause for miscarriage. As you know I had one not to long ago and another one before that. The surgery is pretty expensive. I am getting ready to ovulate this month and I was really looking forward to trying. The doc said that I should hold off and then next month go on birth control for a month and he will remove it!!! It is a 2800 dollar surgery...for something he himself says that it may or may not have caused the miscarriage...and even if it did it might not necessarily cause it the next time! rrrrrrrr! I don't know what to do. My hubby and I have discussed possibly just going for it this month and seeing what God has planned...and hopefully the baby wont implant anywhere near the dang thing. Or we will remove the stinking polyp and wait till Jan. (after being on bc rrrrrr for a month!) and try again. What to do...what to do!? Oh....the other times I tried I got prego right away...so there is a good chance that I would get prego this month if I tried...the doc looked at my ovaries last night with the water sonogram and said that I was very very fertile. DH wants me to do the surgery but that is just because he is scared that I will miscarry again and he doesn't want to see me go through the pain again!....makes sense. What do you girls think?!
  • Polyps (4 replies):
    did anyone have any polyps when they were trying to get...[more]
  • Endometrial Polyp (4 replies):
    Hi Doctor, My ultrasound showed a 1cm X 1cmX 0.4cm POL...[more]
  • Uterine polyps (4 replies):
    Has anyone ever been diagnosed with this? I had an ultr...[more]
  • Uterus polyps (3 replies):
    We're trying to get pregnant with IVF/ICSI. I got pregna...[more]
  • Polyps (5 replies):
    Have any one that was doing IVF. Got a BFN and later the...[more]
I too had a uterine polyp - but i was told to get it removed straight away.  However the reason i was told to get it removed was because they felt it could be an issue in me getting pregnant.  We've been trying for over a year and nothing has happened.  So I had it taken out.  It was about 1.5cm and there was another smaller one that they also removed.

The docs told me that polyps can be an issue for women trying to get pregnant (obviously not a problem for you!), and that they may cause miscarriage if I ever did get pregnant.  They also would not have allowed me to go through IVF without having it removed - as they they like everything to be 'clear'.

As you can see... everything is a 'maybe' or 'they think'.. nothing is definite which is part of the frustration.  I have read about plenty of women who conceive easily and give birth to healthy babies who have had polyps.

My personal decision based on my diagnosis was to have the polyp removed but my circumstances are slightly different to yours.

Anyway good luck and let me know how you get on.

Thank you for the information...that is still helpful because for all you know you were getting prego but the polyps were in the way and not letting the babies implant.  I have heard that also.  If I were you I would try with IVF for a couple months after the polyp is removed...or maybe you already have?  Anyway, I think we are leaning towards it...it is just going to be really hard for me to pass this next weekend up when I am going to be ovulating and had made plans to try again.  Especially when I know there is a good chance that it wont interfere with the pregnancy at all.....but knowing that there is a chance and being that I have already had the pain of suffering through a miscarriage I don't think it is worth the risk.  We will see if I can handle not "doing it" this weekend.

Thank you again for writing me.  I will keep you informed.  :)

btw, how are things going with you?  how are things since you removed the polyps?
I'm really good and very positive.  I only had the polyp removed 4 weeks ago and was told I only had to wait 2 weeks before trying naturally again.... which we've been having fun doing!

Also - I did not have to abstain for anytime prior to the op.  He just booked me in about 4 days after AF finished. I would ask your doc if it's really necessary for you to abstain if it makes you that unhappy.

We're not thinking about IVF at this stage... just going to see where life takes us for now.

Good luck.
I have had 4 m/c's and was sent to an Re who found that I too had a uterine polyp. Mine was removed about 7weeks ago and we now have the go ahead to ttc. The way he explained it to me was that it was located at the top of my uterus and that the sides of your uterus are touching. Sooooooo, if there is anything in there it could be a great hinderance to a baby trying to implant. They seem to think that maybe my babies could not get to any good healthy tissue to implant. The polyp was the only thing within reach. Only God knows for sure, but I think it is why I lost my babies. Hope this helps.
I have uterine polyps and scheduled to have them removed this month. My concern is 1) cancer: which my sister (34 years old) is battling and my mother (5 years cancer free)  I just don't know how related polyps can be to cancer, especially with my family history 2) fertility. Do I have to wait to have sex? I hear you are very fertile right after this surgery, is this true? My husband and I may immediately ttc due to polyps possibility of returning interfering with concieving...any thoughts???
hi im new to the site. i have just come out of hospital after having polyp removed and fluid in womb. i have 2 sons from prev marriage but have lost 4 babs with new hubby. hubby has some abnorm sperm and i am 43. can i have some feedback about when to try again and wat my chances of getting past 11 weeks are now that polyp has been removed thanks lisa
Hi, I just miscarried. I had a HSG done in Dec and they found a polyp in my lower uterus. Not sure about the size. I was only 5.5 wks pregnant when I experienced the worst pain of my life. In a half an hour time I passed something through me...thought it was clots that was roughly the size of a medium sized apple. My husband took me to the hospital, but no one could figure why I experinced so much pain so early in the pregnancy. why what I passed was so big. I brought it with me for examination, but no one wanted to take a look. It was clear-white and covered in blood. Two days later I went to my OBGYN and he was very confused about the size of whatever I passed, but by then I flashed it down the toilet so it couldn't be examined. Could it be the POLYP itself? Is that possible? I didn't get a clear answer. We have been trying to get pregnant for 19 months now and this was my first pregnancy. I was warned that it was not going to hold due to my progesterone levels dropping ( that showed up in my blood tests).
I had a miscarriage back in Dec of 07, worst experience ever so my heart truely goes out to each one of us that has that experience, especially if more than once. After waiting the reccomended 'normal cycle' meaning after I had a normal period after the miscarriage, then we could try again. We did and we succeeded, but I kept bleeding into the 4th month, doc kept saying no worries. I worried, I mean com'on my first pregnancy was a dream then 5 years later I am having all these problems. So I got a 2nd opinion, and thank GOD, I did, he right there in his office, removed a 3 legged cervical polyp.

Now I can't say it can be that fast for everyone cuz who knows where everyone else's polyp is/are, and their size. But man was I relieved and a bit scared; cuz they need to then test them to make sure they are not cancerous. They also, that same day, saw a mass in with the baby in the sonogram, which I later learned is typical with polyps cuz they are like straws esentally and one end has a bulb (inside the uterus, and the other sticks out somewhere leaking the blood. Sorry to be so graphic but I know someone will appreciate it. This all happened when I was 4 months into it my pregnancy with my now healthy 6 month old baby girl. Yet now she has a polyp on her labia, which I am now researching...will this ever end?!

So bottom line, get them removed, it was a miracle i got preggers with the polyp. So yeah, medicine as much as we want it to be, is not an exact science. We must mix science with faith and positive thinking to move forward. I wish you all peace, happiness and fertility.
I had polyps removed june 14 of this year.  They were really bad......so bad my dr. said they completely covered my entire uterus and were inside my cervix.  This is the issue:  I was about to have a period before my surgery.  After the surgery I spotted lightly for one day.  About three days later I started lightly spotting again, but only for a few days.  I did not have a period in june and as of yet, have not had one this month (july).  Is this normal.  My husband and I were told that we could resume sexual activity two weeks after my surgery...we waited two extra days to resume.  Two days later I went back for my post op appt.  Could we have gotten pregnant and not know it?? Is it normal not to have a period for two months in a row after polyp removal? I guess I just want to know has anyone experienced this besides me???