Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Varicocele and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Varicocele and pregnancy

My husband has recently been diagnosed with Varicocele, which is an abnormal enlargement of the vein that is in the scrotum draining the testicles. This caused the testicles to get too warm causing fertility issues.  The doctor believes this may be the reason my husbands speciman is just below average.  We have been TTC for 11 months now with 1 m/c back in August at 6w3d.  I guess I have 2 questions, could my husbands lower quantity/quality sperm that is caused by Varicocele, be why we m/ced?  Also, has anyone's husband been diagnosed with this and had the surgery to correct this and then gotten pregnant?  

My Husband was diagonosed with Varicocele and had the surgery two years ago. We did not see any significant change in his sperm count or motility after the surgery. Your m/c might be due to the poor quality of the sperm. After our first failed IVF, my RE did a genetic testing on my husband's sperm to make sure that was not the issue that caused failed IVF. Your best bet is probably IVF with ICSI and we also did PICSI. We did our second IVF this month. I am going for BETA this morning. very nervous, but anxious.

I do have to say this IVF cycle, my husband's sperm count and motility improved significantly, so I think it depends on the person. Sometimes surgery corrects it right way and sometime it takes time. Talk to your RE about your options. Best of luck!

Thanks for all of the information!  My husband is getting another SA this afternoon before making the determination on surgery.  I'm hoping this will correct the issue, but I'm thinking that we are going to have to lean toward alternative methods to conceive and I really hoped to do it naturally for the financial aspect of everything; however, I'm getting to the point where I'm willing to try anything!  I'm also wondering if we should put TTC on hold until later so we don't risk another M/C.  I have lots to think about!!  Good luck to you as well!!  Hopefully you guys will have a BFP soon!