Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Very low motility (1.5%) what are the odds of a successful iui?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

We had our first IUI today. The nurse did not seem too hopeful because my DH's sperm motility is very low (1.5%). We went ahead with the 7 live sperm that were there and said a prayer. Has anyone had a successful IUI with such low numbers? We want to start our family so much! I'm 37 and DH is 38.
Usually with extremely low sperm mortality  I am surprised they did not recommend IVF with ICSI.
My husband was also told the same but we are doing IVF with ICSI..just finished first cycle & was told next time we won't need ICSI...one just never knows.  Good Luck.
If it doesnt work this time I would try IVF ...  I am also 37 hubby 39
Thanks for the responses. I'm becoming so obsessed! If this IUI does not work I'm going to push forward with IVF.

Kricket212- how was the IVF process for you? Best of luck to you and your husband! It would be great if we could keep in touch. I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Thanks!
Jennifer
I am actually having my first melt down today.  It's just all so overwhelming.  My transfer was done saturday.  I am just really nervous. It was my first IVF.
We didnt have a choice of doing IUI because I have a clogged tube. (not sure why)

The IVF process for me was ok.  I was able to do some of the shots myself after a few times.  The difficult part was going to the office almost daily for monitoring & always being late for work.  I would get there at 6am for which they start monitoring at 6:30 & that still was not early enough.  The retrieval was not bad because after it was over we went out to lunch.  Transfer...that was easy just like a water sonogram.
I am not sure if I am making it sound easy because it was not.  Although I consider myself lucky because I didn't have any side effects.  These stupid Progesterone inserts is what is really annoying me.  When do you start your cycle? Good Luck.

I would love to keep in touch.

Donna
Donna,

Hang in there! Tomorrow is a new day! Thanks for sharing about your IVF process. You are brave to go through it and should be proud of yourself!

Today was our first IUI so we'll wait and see if it's successful. If not, we'll have to make a decision to move to IVF or try IUI again. With such low motility I'm thinking we have to do IVF.

I totally understand about the missing work thing. It's hard to keep a balance of it all! It will all be worth it in the end for us!

Stay in touch,
Jen
I was out of my mind when I posted this! After I thought about it more I realized that the nurse said 7% motility, at least it's better than 1.5%! Sheesh- I've been such a space cadet lately! haha
7%? but how many were there? We just did our first IUI on the 6th and my hubby only had 3.3million.. which is not a whole lot in the vast scheme of things... but it really only takes on - although the more the merrier! lol (more chances).
How are you feeling a few days out? When do you get to go back in to find out?? Or do you have to rely on a HPT first?
Hi- thanks for keeping in touch! I go tomorrow for a blood test to check progesterone. I'm going to ask what his numbers were when I get there. I was out of my mind and really don't remember. I then go back on Dec 21st for the blood pregnancy test.

I've been feeling fine. Had some cramping in the night that woke me up. I feel a little dizzy at times too. Other than that pretty normal.

How are you doing? We are are only a few days apart on our IUI's.
HI- went yesterday for the progesterone blood test. I asked about the numbers on the day of the IUI. I guess I was right, they were extremely low, the lowest yet! I guess I was in denial. They were 5ML count with only 1.5% motility. The nurse did say that she has seen triplets happen with those numbers!
My progesterone came back low also, 8.3. Nurse said it is no indication if I'm pregnant or not. She ordered progesterone supp and I start that tonight. I go back next Monday for the official pregnancy test. Of course, I'll test before I go so I know what to expect.

I"m hanging on to any scrap of hope I can get.
Hi all - my boyfriend just got his second set of results this morning and his sperm motility is very low at 1.5%. The unhelpful doctor started talking about donor sperm but I don't think that's a road we want to go down. We want to look at other options first as we managed to conceive naturally last October but had a mc at 6 weeks. Since then there's been nothing but at least now we understand why. We've been referred and have to wait 5 1/2 weeks for an appointment. Could someone tell me what my options are on the NHS - how many goes are you allowed and for which treatments? If I went private would I be disallowed NHS treatment? I'm 36 next month and my boyfriend will be 40.  I'd appreciate any information as to what happens next - after 2 years of ttc it's all I can think about.
Ah - I see you're all on the other side of the pond and as such probably won't know about the NHS! Still - any thoughts would be gratefully received. It's just good to be able to share this.
what does NHS mean?
National Health Service. Am in the UK