Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Ways to Improve male and female fertility?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

My wife and I are trying to get pregnant and we are trying to improve our chances to conceive.  We would like to ask the medical community forum (or any one else) the best way to improve our chance to get pregnant?

1)  Ways to Improve Female Fertility?
     a.  Wife is 30 years old
     b.  Bachelors degree in Nutrition
     c.  A RND - Government employee and works a 40 hour week (low stress)
     d.  In great health
     e.  Petite (5’5” – 114 pounds)  
     f.  Regular ministration cycles while taking birth control pills (but she stopped taking pills two days ago 07/18/2010)  
     g.  Irregular menstruation cycles before taking birth control pills.
     h.  Late start of puberty at age 15.
     i.  Has history of family “hypertension”
     j.  Diet consist of 2 eggs with cheese, 3 small “Quaker Oats” Oatmeal cookies and milk in the morning.  For lunch and supper – fruits, vegetables, and chicken breast cooked in BBQ marinade (Sugar, Soy Sauce, vinegar, oyster sauce and BBQ sauce) and for snacks mid-morning, mid-afternoon and late evening is 3 small “Quaker Oats” oatmeal cookies with 8oz. cup of powered milk. --- (No salt added to diet except added in Vegetables.)

2)  Ways to Improve Male Fertility?
     a.  Husband (me) is 40 years old
     b.  Bachelors degree in Mass Communication
     c.  Unemployed and living on disability income
     d.  Over-weight (5’11” – 275 pounds)
     e.  Exercises 4 to 6 days a week doing cardio interval training for 35 minutes
     f.  Good cardio health and currently losing 1 to 1.5 pounds a week due to exercise and diet
     g.  Has a social disorder causing stress, anxiety, depression and fatigue along with severe PTSD
     h.  Has lower back pain, Fibromyalgia and Arthritis and frequent cramps in feet and legs
     i.  Has problem with excessive sweating in cold and hot weather during moderate or higher physical and mental activity
     j.  Diet consist of 2 eggs with cheese, 3 small “Quaker Oats” Oatmeal cookies and milk in the morning.  For lunch and supper – fruits, vegetables, and chicken breast cooked in BBQ marinade (Sugar, Soy Sauce, vinegar, oyster sauce and BBQ sauce) and for snacks mid-morning, mid-afternoon and late evening is 3 small “Quaker Oats” oatmeal cookies with 8oz. cup of powdered milk. --- (No salt added to diet except added in Vegetables)

Please give advice on both natral and medical ways to improve male and female fertility given the information provided of myself and my wife listed above - Thank You!
Is your wife taking pre-natal vitamins? If not, she should begin taking them. Also - how long have you been trying?  if it's been over 6 mos, you should go see a dr to get your sperm tested to see if all is normal. if all is normal, then the dr might want to test your wife and find out why she was/is having irregular periods. your diet sounds good. I would maybe increase veggies and also start taking a multivitamin yourself.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers