Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Weight Gain question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Weight Gain question

Can anyone tell me what in the fertility process makes us gain weight. I am a petite woman, weighed about 125, and fortunately despite 2 kids a pretty flat stomach. I can tell I have gained weight. My husband says it's in my imagination. He better say that right? Lol!! Really though what is it that makes us gain the weight. Seems like I am hungry all the time. I know I should not really be worrying about the weight gain now that I got a BFP, but I would like to know what the normal range of weight gain is. Has anyone else gained weight.
Congrats on getting a BFP!  I too have noticed since I started fertility treatment  I have gained weight -- I am normally 112lbs and I think I am up to 122 I gained 10lbs in very short period of time -- I am thinking it is the meds I did 4 months of clomid and a month of injections -- I am med free now -- taking a break from the fertility world (still trying on my own though)  and hoping to lose the 10+ pounds I put on.
Hello! yup, i totally know what you mean! i think its the progesterone, at least in the tww part of it.. i know i bloat up and get super hungry with that... the first part of the cycle.. i think a lot of it is that i just don't feel great, i feel so fatigued when i go to the gym its hard to do things like i do when i'm on a break cycle, its crazy!   and my abd gets so bloated up that it can be uncomfortable.. its all worth it in the end.. but yea when i have a BFN cycle i get mad and sware the next month i'll get more in shape like i ws before i started this all!! CONGRATS on your BFP : )
OMG this is great news.  I haven't been spending much time online.  I must have missed your BFP post.  Congrats.  If remember correctly last time it was with IVF right?  How did you do it this time?  

congrats this is great news!!  How are along are you??

as for the weight gain.. the hormones make me eat like an insane person and I have always been pretty small also. I'm the heaviest I've ever been righ now (aside from right after my son was born) and I'm about 125. When I was pg with my son, I became bloated very early on and stayed that way until the baby tummy pooched out.  

congrats again.. wonderful news.    
We had our 2nd IVF 3 day transfer on 12/06/2008. Obviously my RE knows what she is doing. The problem is me staying pregnant. I tested early this time too. Tested on Monday 12/15 got a BFP. Went in for the blood work on Fri 12/19, of course not saying a word, didn't want to look weak :). They called me back saying HCG levels 246 and progestrone 109. I have been going to the bathroom like crazy. Literally all the time. Why is that? Do you know? does anyone know?

Like you I haven't really been online. I stop by to read but not to post. Had to try focusing on other things. I have truely become an addict to become pregnant. My last M/C hit me hard, I just knew for sure I was going to make it. It really makes it hard, that 8 women at my job are pregnant. OOOOO!!! I just wanted to shout. Then I have women who know we are going through fertility asking me questions about how to get pregnant. One lady actually asked me if she stood on her head would she get pregnant. I have heard it all.
I dont know but i was taking Vitex trying to get pregnant and b4 i knew i had gained like13lbs and with no BFP!! So now after trying all those herbal supplements to no avail im dieting and not stressing and losing all my xtra lbs! 8 so far need 5 to be bk where i started but i plan on losing at least 10 more!!
oops forgot to say CONGRATS on ur BFP!!
Oh i peed like crazy when I was pg also.  From the first trimester all the way to the end.  I've read that it often gets better in the second trimester because your uterus will tilt back and take pressure off your bladder, but it never let up for me.  I also drank a ton more fluids when I was pg, so that might have been part of it.  I guess it could be partly hormonal also?  

And I forgot to add on my last post, that until my baby belly actually started to happen, I just looked like I had a beer gutt.  It was terrible.  I never minded looking pg, but I hated the beer gutt look.  

Congrats again.  Very exciting.  :)