Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
What counts as actual first day of Period?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

If you start at night or late afternoon- don't you still consider that day as day one of your period?  Someone was telling me no?  Dumb question I am sure but now it has me wondering.  I started Monday afternoon and I was counting Monday as the first day of period?  Isn't that right??
I asked my RE the same question and he said yes. He said even the slightest spot of blood, day or night, is the first day.
Hey there-- I just left you a note!!!  Thanks for the response.....but hat if it is normal for you to spot before you actually Start-- would you consider that day one or the acrtual day of like bleeding?  See I have heard that if it spotting then that isn't to be considered the first day of flow??????  Whatcha think?
the first day of full flow is considered CD1
I spot first and my DR said it is considered CD1. He said the smallest sign. So, that's what I go by.
OK- hmmm I need to try and remember which day I started spotting--- also here is another question- I was told Answer is NOT a good OPK so- now I am trying to figure out which OPK to use..... any advice?
The first day of your menstrual cycle is the day your period begins to flow and is bright read. Pre-menstruation spotting is not considered the beginning of your period.

My dad has been an OBGYN for 35 years.
*bright red - sorry
I was told by a lady at the pharmacy she didn't think it mattered what OPK you used, they were all the same, but I don't believe that. I've been sticking to Clear Blue.
I'm just going by what my RE says. it seams to work out right for me. 28 days.
i agree.  although i haven't had luck with even clear blue (well, at least the one month i tried it), i've read just about everywhere that clear blue is IT.  and there are (as you've noticed) variations of opinion when it comes to the "real" AF.  in my opinion, you'll know.  if you have to put a tampon in, count as CD1.  if you've been spotting for days, go ahead and count the first day of spotting because it could be a light period, but if it gets heavier later, you can change it.  that's what i do anyway.  
oh, and i count the afternoon.  if it's 10pm or later, i go ahead and count the next day.  again, just me.
Hey girl, long time no see. How ya doin?
Thanks for the advice and opinions...... it def. helps.....
Tyger...

I too was confused about the whole AF start thingy...even nurses working in the same office telling me differnt things as well as the different RE's. ;o) Before, it was if you start before 5pm that is day1. It all begin to sound crazy to me. The last thing I was told that 1st full flow day was day one, so whatever full flow may be for you...day one...it's almost as someone else above said...follow what works for you(your full flow & mines maybe different). I normally have a very light flow, so it was confusing for a while if that was my full flow. At anyrate, this last cycle I started w/pink tinged cm-type spotting...then nothing rest of that day, but the next day...WOW...supper RED & Flowing...1st in 4-ever. ;o) I knew that RED day was day one for me.

As for OPK's...I've tested the Answer & Clear Blue @ the same time & they were always positive on the EXACT same day. So...it'd be good to test it yourself. Hope my 2$ was helpful. ;o)

Savanha~~
oh, for to say that whatever you choose, do it all the time.  consistency is really what we're aiming for here.

hoping-i'm fine.  just wiped out from being sick, having a broken car, and my husband being gone.  lol, but other than that, fine.  
I just wanted to say that I've always used Answer and found it reliable.  The lines can be difficult to read (for example, my positive surge line is as DARK as the control line but it's not as THICK as the control line so it doesn't "look" as dark...see?  Confusing!)  LOL!  Last month I spent $$$ and got the Clear Blue digital AND an answer brand.  Clear Blue showed a positive on the same day as my Answer...so I think it's just a personal preference.  :)
i was told if its normal for you to spot before actual flow..you count the spotting as CD1 BUT if its NOT normal..then you dont count the spotting but the day it actually was a flow. I never get a spotting with my AF but my 1st AF after my ectopic was a spotting late night on 9/12...i spotted until 9/14 in the morning it was a flow..so im going by 9/14 as CD1...now if my AF from here on out has spotting couple days be4 flow then i'll make changes to my O-calender. :)
I am sooo glad to read that you use the Answer brand and what your positive result looks like.  I too used Answer and I would get a line not as thick but as dark and always took it to be a positive but thought maybe I was wrong.  THAT IS SOOO GOOD to know.
Thanks to all of you for your responses -  they do help.
so alittle spotting is not counted as day one ?? because i spotted yesterday and got my period today so do i count yesterday am confused lol..