Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
What does a short luteal phase mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

What does a short luteal phase mean?

My question is regarding a short luteal phase.  I am 31 years old and have been ttc for almost a year.  I started charting my bbt for the last two months and noticed my luteal phase has been about 10 days short.  How will this affect my ability to become pregnant?  What can I do to extend it?  Is 14 days the normal luteal phase?  I am confuse about this, please help!!  My cycles are irregular (ranging from 33 days to 45 days).  This month will probably be at least a 50 day cycle. Why do my cycles last soo long?  What can be the cause of this?  Thanks for taking the time to answer my question

tulip76
I don't know that much about luteal phases, but i've heard that 10 days is ok...it should be at least 10 days.  14 is just the average and when people are trying to figure out date of ovulation and they're not sure how long luteal phase is, 14 is what is used...it's just an average.  some people have a longer one, some people have a shorter one.  I don't think 10 is anything to be worried about.  Your irregular cycles may be more of an issue when ttc.  Have you talked to your doctor about this?  are you sure you're ovulating?  Good luck to you and lots of sticky baby dust!
I may be wrong about this,  but my doctor says a luteal phase needs to be at least 12 days.  Dont fear though, there is something you can try that has good sucess fixing it.

Take vitamin B6 supplements, anywhere from 50mg to 200mg once everyday of your cycle. The B6 helps to make your body make more progesterone... this is the hormone that is crucial in maintaining a luteal phase. It took my taking 100MG everyday for 2 months and my luteal phase is normal now. THere are other women on this forum who have had great success with B6 too, some have to take 200MG everyday... it just depends.

Granted, there are other reasons you can have a short luteal phase, but this is the most common by far (low progesterone). Definatly try the B6 it is very successful!!
I also have a short luteal phase and my doctor put me on progesterone suppositories and that really helped.  I tried B6 religiously, but it didn't work for me.  The suppositories were a pain in the butt to do every morning and they were kind of gross (with leakage), but it really did work wonders for me.  
hi i need  help please i come on 14 oc till 20oct so that a 26 day cycle till 14 nov till 20nov 2011 .then it been 33days till my nexts period  20 dec till 27 ,, am so confused  i dont no what my luteal phase is on a 26day and 33days :/ please help  thank you  sarah