Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
What is a pap smear? Does it hurt ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

What is a pap smear? Does it hurt ?

Hi I just got married and I have never done a pap smear before. I understand that it's really important and has to be done once a year. I am extremely scared of pain.. and i heard it really hurts.. Is there any preparations I have to prepare? What does the doctor actually do to you? And does anybody know a good Obgyn in Minneapolis, Minnesota ? thank you..
A Pap smear (Pap test) is a way to look at a sample of cells taken from a woman's cervix. The test is used to look for changes in the cells of the cervix that show cervical cancer or conditions that may develop into cancer.

It really does not hurt. just a little unconfertable but not really painful. I found a obgyn the first time and told her i was scared and she said everyone is and made it seem so easy.

you will be fine.
uncomfortable but not painful! You should have gone long time ago, starting at 18 or so..
Thanks Lori, I've heard some scary stories out there. A friend of mine went for a pap smear the first time and she bled, and said it hurt a lot..
i hope it's not too late for me?!
You should be ok. I did not have my first pap till I was 22 about 6 months before i got pregnant.
Don't be scared.  Like everybody said, it's uncomfortable (and undignified) but not painful in any sort of way.  You'll want to check with your insurance first to find a dr, then once you choose a dr you can google their name and there are all sorts of sites out there that keep surveys of dr's.

Better late then never :)