Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
What should I ask fertility specialist?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

What should I ask fertility specialist?

I have been with my husband for 14 years. We have never used protection and always figured when the time was right we would just end up pregnant. 8 years ago my periods stopped. My dr told me I just couldn't have kids, no reason, just not going to happen. When I asked why she said it didn't really matter why I was fine and the testing was too expensive. I had no insurance at the time. My Dr left the area and I started seeing a new Dr Dec 2012. She was concerned about my not having periods and sent me for an ultrasound. When she got the results she sent me to a gynecologist. He asked if I wanted to have a child and I said yes, if I can. He did some lab work and is now sending me to a fertility specialist. I am 37 and my hubby is 43. We truly thought there was no way for us to have a family except by adoption. We are working toward that goal, we just bought a house and are remodeling it to have a proper home for the family we have always wanted. I truly have no idea what I should ask or need to know. PLEASE, PLEASE help me know what to ask this doctor. I feel like I have been given a split-second chance  for a baby of my own!
P.S. The adoption plans are still going forward, I always wanted a house full of children and have done foster care for several years.
Oh, the gynecologist said I am not ovulating but I am not menopausal, and is trying to get my periods started again. Anyone been in similar situation? Advice really needed! I know the older you are the higher the risk of downs syndrome etc......

Ask about Poly Cystic Ovarian syndrome. It can cause you not to ovulate and difficulty conceiving. With this condition, you produce a follicle (egg) in the form of a cyst (that's normal), but your progesterone levels don't get high enough to have you ovulate, instead, the cyst remains and multiple cysts form on your ovaries as you produce the follicles (cysts) without ovulating. You can also go long periods of time with out menstrual cycles. It's treatable with a combination of medications like Clomid to help you ovulate.
Have them also check your AMH levels, which tell you your egg reserve, this will give you more information on what types of fertility treatments will bring you the most success.
They should check your hormone levels, as well as your thyroid function, as both of those can effect your fertility.
Best of Luck!
hey keep ur head up and stay strong the lord will bless u don't let a doctor tell u you cant its Gods choice not mans i hope u the best
Thank you for the advice and the encouragement! :) I am already starting to feel like a pin cushion.I had to go to the lab before my appt yesterday and then right back to the lab after my appt. They are not dragging their feet that is for sure, I started seeing my new Dr just before christmas, Jan 6 I saw the gyno, and feb 19 is my first appt with the specialist. It all still seems unreal, I am truly stunned at just how fast everything is going right now and I'm not sure it has all really sunk in yet. every ultra sound and blood draw they do I expect to hear we are sorry we was wrong, we can't help you have a baby. Yet I hope and pray with every fiber of my being they really can help...