Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
When cycle day 1?/When is a period a period and not spotting?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hello laddies I have a simple question. When you start spotting is that considered cd1 or do you consider cd1 the first day of flow? When I went to the RE they said the first day of flow is cd1 but I always thought any spotting was considered cd1. Can anyone help me out or at least let me know what you think? Also if  you spot blood for 4 days would that be considered a light period?
Thanxxx
I was told that cd1 was full flow and not spotting.  I'm not sure about when you spot for 4 days.  I would call your RE and ask that question.  
I, too, was told by my Dr. that thye first day of full flow is CD1.  

Four days of spotting sounds like breakthrough bleeding.  This happened to me this summer - the first time in my life - my ultrasounds in May showed a functional cyst and I didn't ovulate.  My hormones were out of whack for almost 2 months.

I would suggest contacting your Dr. to see what is going on. It's easy to determine through ultrasound and bloodwork.  Good luck:)