Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
When do most Doctors do the first ultrasound?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

hi i am about 5 weeks pregnant and i have an appointment on the 28th of Dec. i was wondering if my doc would do and ultrasound and if she does not do one this time when would she. thanks
Depends on the country you live in. In North America for sure at 18/19 weeks but also around 6-8 weeks if there is any kind of concern about implantation or at your personal request. In some European countries it is done every visit because doctors have the ultrasound equipment in their Ob/Gyn offices and need to pay it off...
My fifth week was just a physical exam to see if my uterus felt pregnant (i.e. during the fifth week, apparently your uterus is more circular than usual and down lower, so the dr can tell whether it is normal or ectopic). My first u/s is scheduled for tomorrow, which is when I turn 10 weeks. Some doctors like to do the first u/s around 8 weeks, but a lot of time the baby is hiding during this time, so you can't get the heartbeat. I believe that is why my dr prefers to wait until 10 weeks ... the odds of hearing the heartbeat are much higher.

Best wishes!