Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Worrying Beta Numbers... HELP!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Worrying Beta Numbers... HELP!

Last Wed (22/02) I did my first beta (14dp2dt)... it came back BFP with 41 (low but still possible). Then the doctor said to do another test Monday (27/02) which came back at 40... I was gutted and have cried for 2 days. I was told to do a 3rd beta today (29/02)... I was sure it would come back lower but it has actually gone up SLIGHTLY to 42... WHAT? So my beta has stayed almost the same for a week, very low! Yet I have pregnancy symptoms (sore breasts, twinges in stomach)... what is going on? I thought it was a chemical pregnancy, but now I'm not sure. Could it be ectopic? I have no bleeding. Has anyone else had similar results?
Related Discussions
52 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
318181_tn?1336447096
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, with the betas staying the same like that, it's probably not a viable pregnancy. As you know, they're suppose to double every 2-3 days. I'm not sure why the levels haven't gone down at all, though, or why you still have pregnancy symptoms. I agree with you, I don't think it's a chemical pregnancy. Maybe a blighted ovum? I'm not really sure. Again, I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this, but please know you're not alone. Unfortunately, there are so many things that can go wrong early on, and lots of women on here (myself included) have gone through early pregnancy losses. Take care!
Blank
1422615_tn?1334067834
was there a chance of multiples? if so then maybe u lost 2 of them and the last little one is hanging in there.

40/3=13

13 doubled is 26( friday - saturday) doubled is 52( monday tuesday) so u are looking at  a chance if u had 3 in there or if u had one implant later than all the rest.  so the fist 1 or 2 took off a day or two ahead of   the good one.

just some ideas to help u relax until your next beta. I pray it works out in your favor but if not know that u are sill blessed and that it will happen one day.
Blank
294043_tn?1354211546
With low beta that does not increase appropriately you should be monitored for ectopic.  I hope your hcg goes down and you do not need a shot.
I am so sorry this is happening to you.
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
Thank you for all your comments. I know that this cant be a viable pregnancy with such low numbers. I had 2 embryos implanted, but even if I lost one I still can't see how the low number can be viable for the other embryo, even if I am hoping that could be the case. I was told by my hospital to do my 3rd beta yesterday (I did... it was 42) but no one rang me to discuss what happens next. I called the hospital this morning to be told my midwife and doctor are both on holiday this week... so no one is following up their patients?!!!!! I can't believe this! I've insisted that another doctor call me back... I'm still waiting! I'm so worried and angry! Not to mention sad!
Blank
I am so sorry to hear that Blue, i know how it feels its neither BFN nor a BFP i have gone through with what you are going through, my prayers are with you....
Blank
1422615_tn?1334067834
girl i am so sorry!!!! i would be mad at the re also.

i have never had my betas do what yours are doing. mine doubled from 1 to 2 but on the 3rd it went up by just a little and 4th it went down.  i pray if this is not meant to be that your levels will drop quickly and u can start a new cycle soon.
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
Thanks girls for your support. I have to do one last beta monday, but I still have no cramp or bleeding so I don't know whats happening with my body. It's awful.
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
Ok, it's been 12 days since my first beta... in the last 6 days my beta has increased from 42 to 48... I was told to expect a miscarriage a week ago, but now my beta has increased slightly... I don't understand?!!! I am so confused, have spent the last week grieving except now the beta increases slightly... Dr says it doesn't look good but I have to stay on progesterone etc and do another beta in 2 days?! Doesn't anyone have any thoughts on this, I'm going crazy!
Blank
1422615_tn?1334067834
I  am so confused but who knows. i have never heard of it going up this slowly. but and increase is and increase. usally if u mc they go down right away.
Blank
1545464_tn?1376707758
Not to discourage you or to make you feel bad, my first beta was 15, then itself nurse said it may not work, later it went upto 74,nuse wasn't hopeful still, later it went upto 246, and next day, i started bleeding, slow raising numbers are not a good sign in my experience, it has to double double and double each 48 hours. :(.
Blank
1053407_tn?1352033971
I'm sorry you are going threw this I'm flustrated for you just try and relax one of the re at that clinic need to be available for u if u feel any cramping or unusual symptoms go to the er later for the clinic!!! I wish u the best
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
Thanks girls for your thoughts, both good and bad! I have to say I'm not feeling hopeful but I've had another beta this morning and will get the results later today. I'll try to speak to my midwife to see what's happening... I still have no bleeding? It's been 2 weeks since my first beta, I am SO confused.
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
My beta today is 59?! So in two days it's gone from 48 to 59... Dr gave me a scan today but saw nothing... she said I was still pregnant but the hcg was totally abnormal and I am going to miscarry. I am so sad. I knew that but was hoping all the same for a miracle. I asked when should I expect to see sign of miscarriage and she was so rude to me, said "I don't know that but if it pleases you I could give you a date but it probably won't be then." I asked how long I would have to wait after miscarrying before we could try IVF again, this was her response in a haughty voice "you haven't even miscarried with this pregnancy yet so we can't possibly take about what will happen afterwards"... except she'd just told me I will have a miscarriage. All this and more in a matter of fact tone of voice and then she had to dash off in an emergency and left me to get dressed and digest everything she'd just thrown in my face. I started to cry... I had to come out of the office and walk across a packed waiting room with tears rolling down my face, people were staring at me... I really don't think she has an ounce of compassion. I was so upset and so angry. I have to have another beta fri... and just get on with it. I still have pregnancy symptoms (sore breasts) and no bleeding. I feel so alone.
Blank
1647691_tn?1363727302
I'm so very sorry for you and what you're having to go through.  I went through something similar with my miscarraige (miscarriage) in 2009...the slow rising numbers and then they started going down about 3 weeks after my first beta (I believe).  

Your Dr need to have her head examined in my opinion!  She has absolutley no right to talk to you like that and to give answers like that to your questions.  Asking when you might be able to expect to start IVF again after she has already told you you are going to miscarry is a perfectly reasonable thing to ask.  I'd probably think about finding a different Dr for your next IVF cycle if you can.  Going through all of this is hard enough without having to deal with someone like that.

Again I am so sorry and please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Blank
1287560_tn?1272220121
Hello, what an absolute b---ch! they might see situations of micarriages daily but to speak like that over such a sensitive thing is unhuman and uncaring. I feel for you and hope IF
a miscarriage is going to happen that it be sooner rather than later so you can move forward and think of your next step. I have had 4 unsuccessful ivf's all ending up bleeding after the 2ww. You havnt miscarried yet and there is always HOPE,my bestest wishes Melissa
Blank
1422615_tn?1334067834
'm so very sorry for the way your dr treated u. maybe she needs to know how hurtful that was. She should be more sensitive  considering what she is a dr of.  Big hug>:D< . God can always preform miracles. i know for now there is no hope but Friday it will either be up or down so until it drops just  relax. Prepare yourself for the worse but still hope for the best.  I am praying for u.
Blank
I agree, find a new doctor. My first IVF doctor was as cold as ice. His IVF cordinator I could not stand, she had been in the business for 18 years too long because she lost her sense of compassion and drive for what she does. We found a new doctor, it was like stepping into light, he is fantastic and his staff is caring.
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
Thank you all so very much for your words of support. I have done another blood test today, we'll see what happens. I have lots to think about, if we try again should I change Dr, very possibly, but where we live there isn't much choice and there are waiting lists (which we already spent over a year on when we first started the IVF process). It's difficult. As far as this pregnancy goes, it's most likely doomed, but I still have no bleeding? I am confused.

Wishing you all lots of wonderful things! Thank you
Blank
1422615_tn?1334067834
Blue: I understand the waiting list thing. I would call them and tell them that u have been on the waiting list for over a year and really need to see how much long it will take to get u in. some times a phone call works.  I am nervous for u about your results today. Just let us know. We are here for u no matter what.
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
thanks for your support... for the moment I haven't done anything as I am technically still pregnant?!

I got my results today, and they have gone from 59 on wed, to 82 today? WHAT? So the level is going up but very, very slowly! I just don't know what to expect, I've never heard of this and even can't find a similar situation on the internet? I still have no bleeding, and have painful breasts so still some pregnancy symptoms... but my doctor said my situation is not normal and it's not a viable pregnancy. I understand this but don't know why the beta is increasing... it's been 16 days since my first beta!
Blank
1422615_tn?1334067834
GL girl. It going up is a good sign.  Who knows maybe u are 1 in a billion.
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
I just wanted to say my beta has now increased to 137... maybe there's a glimmer of hope? I'm keeping everything crossed for my next beta on Thurs. It's not normal, but maybe this little one was a really slow starter?
Blank
1545464_tn?1376707758
I am praying for you and will wait for a happy update. Good luck hon, i know how tensed it could be for you.
Blank
1422615_tn?1334067834
Blue i am so excited that it went up again!!! and this time it doubled and then some.  Like i said u maybe that 1 in a billion. Thank you for us updated. it is so nice to get excited with u. Thank you GOD for this blessing.
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
It's not looking good for me, beta has only gone from 137 to 150 in 2 days, and nothing on scan... despite being 7 weeks pregnant! I'm being monitored for possible ectopic, if it's not that then the embryo isn't developing. I'm so sad, this is our 4th IVF, our 1st BFP which is going to end in tears :(
Blank
1545464_tn?1376707758
Hugs! Am so disappointed and speechless for you reading this update, and I can't say anything that you don't know, all I wish is that you come out of the pain soon and get back on track with your everyday normal life. After 4 failed cycles, we may need to look at alternate options such as donor egg or something.

you first heal yourself, get better, get over the pain and can then think about next steps.
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
Thank you very much for your kind words, it's difficult as I still have rising beta albeit very low and slow, but they say it's not good. I don't know when it'll end. I am distraught, and have searched the internet but haven't found any cases like mie with such low numbers at 7 weeks. I don't know what's going on in my body. Until I miscarry, I can't move on at all. It's difficult and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy :(
Blank
1422615_tn?1334067834
girl i am so sorry. I had hopes that it would keep rising and that everything would be fine. >:D<. I do have info on how to get help with paying for ivf. if u would like that info just message me.
Blank
2066718_tn?1392396234
I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I had 4 IUI's before I finally got pg, but it ended at 6 weeks as an ectopic.  My heart hurts for you.

I hope you get a miracle.

*hugs*
Blank
1053407_tn?1352033971
Sorry to see you are still going threw this obstacle I searched the web and the closest I got was chemical pregnancy but I have to recheck cause your beta is rising! !!
Blank
1942586_tn?1361027646
What can i say to make you
Blank
1942586_tn?1361027646
What can i say to make you feel better. Pls hun, take care and may God wipe away those tears and bless you again.
Blank
1462588_tn?1345065395
Hi I am so sorry about what you're going through. I was in your shoes back in January only my BETA'S rised to 30,000. I M/C at 7 weeks. I know how you feel.

My heart goes out to you and your family!
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
Thank you so much, all of you! It's such a difficult and sad time for us right now, but knowing I have people here that are willing to listen, give help and support it makes it a little easier to bear. I can't thank you all enough. I will keep you informed, especially for those going through something similar as I really struggled to get any information to comfort or help me. Take care
Blank
1219499_tn?1410753330
I am so sorry for what you are going through!  I hate to say this but it sounds like an ectopic pregnancy to me.  I have had a number of these myself and my beta generally rose but not always doubled.  Make sure they are monitoring you really well and head to the ER at the first sign of one sided pain or brown spotting/bleeding.
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
Thanks for your reply... it's one of my worries, but they are monitoring me weekly with betas and scans, and I've already been to the A&E with pains, but they subsided and the doctor didn't see any embryo anywhere. I do another beta tomorrow, no pains now but no bleeding either. Not sure when this will end?
Blank
1647691_tn?1363727302
I'm so very sorry again!  I know the waiting is just making things worse and I so wish there was something I could do to help.  Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Blank
2066718_tn?1392396234
I really hope you get some concrete answers soon.  I'm in my own kind of limbo right now so I get how you feel...I had surgery for my ectopic, and was expecting to have my hcg levels drop significantly and quickly.  It had looked like they were dropping, as the pg tests were getting lighter, but now they actually look like they are getting darker again.  I had a beta on Friday that had a level of 388, 14 days after surgery (my last beta at 20dpo was 827 and the ectopic was caught two weeks later, not sure what the level rose to in the end, so it has come down), but based on the pg tests it looks like it stalled.  I had another beta today and I'm just waiting on the results of that one to see if it is going down still or not.  If not, I think I'll be in for a D&C.  

*hugs*
Blank
Ive been reading about your situation and it breaks my heart.  I pray that all this works out for you and that God brings you peace. Big hugs!!!
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
I just want to say thank you so much for all your well wishes and kind thoughts, I am ok but still waiting for the beta to drop, it's stable so maybe something will happen soon? I see my doctor tomorrow, hopefully she'll have some answers, although I doubt it. Take care
Blank
1422615_tn?1334067834
gl today girl. I know this is so hard. Maybe u will get some good news. well as good as u can.
Blank
1053407_tn?1352033971
Don't doubt it you may never know what may happen but I see you are looking from both sides just continue to be strong!!!
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
Thanks so much for your kind words...

I saw my gynecologist yesterday... my beta has started to drop and I've had some light brown spotting, so this is the beginning of the end for me :( I was 8 weeks pregnant but they never found the embryo as the beta was too low...

On the bright side, at least it doesn't look like an ectopic, I am grateful for that.

Wishing you all lots of luck... I will take time to reflect and decide what to do now, it's a difficult time for me.

Blank
1422615_tn?1334067834
LIke u am glad it wasnt ectopic. dont give up your time will come. I have been trying for 5 years.   3 mc. one at 12wks , 1 at 10wks, 1 at 6wks. i have had 3 chemical pregnancies.  and 5 iui's 3 of which failed.  I still have faith that it will happen.  Keep your faith and trust God for his perfect timing.
Blank
1647691_tn?1363727302
I know you knew this was coming, but it doesn't make it any easier.  I am so very sorry.  Keep trying to focus on the good things...you will soon have some closure and its not ectopic.  As always I'm keeping you in prayers.
Blank
2066718_tn?1392396234
*hugs*

I'm sad for your loss, but so very grateful you didn't have an ectopic.  I'll find out today what my beta level is doing, but my ultrasound yesterday said everything is normal there, so I'm glad for that for me too.

Thinking of you!
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
Thanks so very much for the comments girls, you are all so lovely and deserve only the very best... I am so grateful for your kind words and am thinking of you all... hubby just rang from work and said "are you on that medical help thingy again"... kinda sums me up at the moment!

Keep believing... even if it seems hopeless. You just never know :)
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
An Update...

Ok as I mentioned last week my beta started dropping and I started to have light brown spotting which lasted from last Wednesday to Sunday... the as of yesterday (Mon) I started to get more reddish blood, mixed with cervical type clear mucus. Last night the cramps from HELL arrived... I get painful periods but these are nothing compared to these cramps! Bleeding got heavier, and horrendous back pain too. I took pain killers and went to bed early. Then this morning it started again, terrible pains which are followed blood clots and whitish grey tissue being passed... I believe this is the miscarriage. I would have be 8½ weeks pregnant... although my beta levels were so low the embryo must have died several weeks ago. Nothing prepared me for the pain... the emotional pain has been hard to cope with, but now the physical pain too is awful. I am home alone, hubby is at work and I don't live near my family/good friends who know about this.  I feel so alone. Tomorrow I see my gynecologist...
Blank
Dear Friends,

am Prashu

my wife values after 2ww on 10th march was 1110 and later 2470 in next 2 days. what does it mean. she will have her 1st scan on 30th march.am worried abt results
Blank
1422615_tn?1334067834
I a so sorry!! YEs it is painful!! i swear it is like labor.
Blank
1806181_tn?1385303256
Ok... so I saw my gynecologist yesterday and she confirmed my miscarriage... I would have been 9 weeks pregnant but the embryo had stopped growing weeks ago. My beta yesterday was 15... so it means that it's almost over and I can try to move on with my life. I'm still having cramping, although less severe, and heavy bleeding. Apparently my doctor said this is a good things as it means that the body is getting rid of everything. I do another beta next week to make sure it's zero, and then a scan in a few weeks to check all is ok.
So this is the end of my beta nightmare... an embryo that started to grow inside me but just didn't have the strength to continue... so sad :(

I wish you all every success in ttc... it's a bumpy road!
Blank
1053407_tn?1352033971
Sorry blue28 you had to go threw this you r in my prayers alot us will have our time the lord just wait onthe perfect time!!!

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...