Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
blood test, low hcg level

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

blood test, low hcg level

Well, for those of you who read my last post, I got my bfp a little over a week ago I'm 5 weeks pregnant,  and went to get my blood test yesterday and my levels were 311.  I was so surprised that they seemed so low.  I had a m/c in Oct. (a blighted ovum) and my numbers were similar then to my #'s now.  I asked the nurse if that was bad and she said that healthy pregnancies can have low #'s initially but I'd need to come in tomorrow to check to see if they are doubling.  I know I shouldn't start worrying right away but I can't help but feel this was just like my last pregnancy.  I'm so scared! :(  I'm truely hoping everything is fine but after going through weeks of blood tests until I get a sonogram to actually see something or not see something was so emotionally draining last time.  Has anyone out there had a similar situation at this stage of pregnancy with a low number and things still working out?  I'm really looking for some positive stories, I'm trying so hard to stay positive....
I don't have a story, but am hoping very big for you!

: ) JT
The American Pregnancy Assn shows levels between 18-7340 as normal range for 5 wks. Don't worry(I know is impossible)wait and see, I bet they are up! Good luck!
i would not quite lose hope. hcg levels vary soo much in early pregnancy and 1 level tells you nothing other than you are pregnant. you have to have serial hcg's in order to see if the pregnancy is maturing properly. hang in there! with my mc's my numbers at 5 weeks were <20..now that is low and a dooming number. i said a prayer for you...God Bless!!
yes - please keep us posted!
thanks everyone, trying to keep positive!

Soccer9-  you really gave me hope, that means so much.  Thankyou!!  I guess I was  worried because my low # this time (at 5 weeks) matched my number at 5 weeks with my last pregnancy (which ended in a m/c).  All I could think was "oh no".

I'll let everyone know what I find out.  It's nice to know there are people out there going through similar situations and are so supportive!
Last week I was just at 5 weeks and my level was 340. They checked again two days later and it was up to 3400.  That can be a very normal number, with great results... hang in there!
I just read through this string because I had a m\c in december and I'm pregnant again.  I just got the results of my first blood test and at just under 5 weeks my numbers are 340.  The nurse said we need to wait and see what the next results show, but to be honest she didn't sound encouraging.  I was just looking for an update from the 1/24/07 posting.  How did things work out for you?  I need some encouragement.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers