Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
chemical pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

chemical pregnancy

What can cause the implantation process to stop?
Generally, it's not known what causes chemical pregnancies, early miscarriage, etc.  What is known is that most women don't even know when they have an early miscarriage or cp because it happens SO early and it doesn't cause their cycle to be delayed or only by a day or 2.  It's basically been chalked up to a chromosomal issue and usually doesn't indicate a long-term problem.
I recently read a post from a girl who had repeated chemical pregnancies and early losses who said she doubted that her uterus was smart enough to detect every loss so early and miscarry. Would seem that once in a while, they ought to last a little longer. That kinda made sense to me. I have had about 10 early losses. I usually feel preg symptoms for 4 days exactly. Chromosomal abnormalities do happen, especially the older you get. But there are a few other possible causes of implantation failure to at least consider: immune and hormonal.

I just had a whole panel of immune tests done by a reproductive immunology specialist, and several things were found. So soon we will be starting treatments for that, so hopefully my body won't reject any more pregnancies. (If you request immunology testing from your RE, you will probably get this handful of tests which doesn't come close to testing for everything that is needed. The reason is because most RE's don't "believe" in reproductive immunology.) There's a great book by Dr. Alan Beer called "Is Your Body Baby Friendly?" that explains all about immune causes of implantation failure and recurrent pregnancy loss.

Also, I have been having some significant hormone imbalances which can thwart implantation. (very low estrogen, DHEA, testosterone and progesterone) Those can affect TTC/implantation very much! Ovaries need DHEA to be able to function well and progesterone (and estrogen) are needed for a thick uterine lining.

Good luck! I hope you don't ever have another loss (early or otherwise). But if you do, I hope you'll be able to get to the bottom of what causes it!
It also could be something as simple as low progesterone or a uterine lining that's too thin or too thick.  Mine was too thick and I had to have a d/c to take care of it.  Good luck
Yes! Good point, trying43! There MANY women for whom supplementing with progesterone is all they need to go the distance. I highly recommend this website that has hundreds of stories of these women. It's lowprogesteroneinpregnancy *******. I was so shocked when I was reading them all! Unfortunately for me it wasn't enough to do the trick, but for many women it is! Good luck!
Wow! M/H sure works really hard to prevent us from sharing helpful info with each other! This site is not advertising anything. It's just success stories about progesterone supplementation from women who have all had multiple pregnancy losses. One more try, lowprogesteroneinpregnancy d o t c o m. Take that, M/H! lol!
Thanks that info was very helpful