Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
clomid 100 mg versus injectables

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

clomid 100 mg versus injectables

Hi everyone

ttc for 2 years and almost 36 years old. I did 3 cycles of clomid 50 mg to no avail. My specialist is now suggesting

a) clomid 100 mg with IUI
b) injectables with IUI
c) IVF

I joined this forum, b/c I don't know anyone else who has gone through infertility treatments and am feeling pretty alone....if you have taken clomid unsuccessfully and found the injectables to be more effective, I'd love your feedback.

Also, if you took injectables/ superovulation---what were your side effects versus clomid?

actually, i'd love anyone's feedback :)

thanks

ttc in canada
I took just the pills no luck.tryed iui no luck .now I am doing Ivf -looks no good so far.
WIsh you the best .

ask your doctor about femara with trigger.

I had 3 cycles of clomid with IUI that didn't work.
But my first cycle of femara with trigger and IUI worked.

Do you know why the clomid 50 didn't work?  DId they do u/s to make sure you were ovulating on that?  For some women, clomid makes the cervical mucous hostile so the sperm can't get through.

DId they check your husband's sperm?
thanks for your responses!

hubby's sperms is ok, diagnosis is unexplained :(

compared to clomid, did you have any side-effects w/ the injectables?

I have been also put onto femara not injectable but better than clomid for some people. It only matures egg's that are good so generally only one at a time and dosen't think the uterus lining out like clomid. I am currenky doing this femara with iui. Had my first one no luck but sure this second one is going to work. Femara also seems to be helping my cycle as well. Ps. Was given ovidel injection for release of egg.
I found the femara far better than clomid. And no side effects at all!  Except pregnancy! :)
I also tried 50 mg clomid/iui/trigger for 3 cycles with no luck.  the last cycle, my uterine lining was super thin due to clomid.  so i really don't recommend going further with that.

I am now on injectibles (menopur)/iui/trigger.  So far so good, no side effects whatsoever. My only gripe is the shots burn going in, but only lasts a few seconds.  You will not get super stimulated bc your RE will monitor you with u/s more frequently.  I was going in 2x a week before my IUI. If you respond too well then they will reduce your meds, so not to worry:)  This round I produced 2 follies and just waiting for results to follow.

Goodluck to you and let me know what you decide!

Haven't tried injectibles yet, but your options are also mine at the moment (except I have a fourth option-natural cycle with IUI).  I responded horribly to clomid.  I started at 50, then they backed me down to 25 b/c I produced too many follicles (12) and my lining was too thin.  The second month on 25 mg, I still had lining problem and I produced a cyst.  I'm on my second month of waiting out the cyst (and also on birth control to help with that).  My doc doesn't recommend femara, though I've written to a lot of people on here that have taken it.  He worries about birth defects, though I've read it isn't a problem if you don't take it when you aren't pregnant.  Good luck. Hope you get enough info to make the best decision for yourself.
thanks everyone

i'm kind of thinking about changing my mind and leaning toward the injections seeing as clomid didn't work for me the first 3 cycles that i did it without IUI

i felt kind of overwhelmed in my appt and just need to slow things down a bit so i can make a really informed choice

all of this feedback is really helpful, thanks!