Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
clomid for fertility

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

clomid for fertility

Im married for about 5 years now and I met my wife when she had a 5 month old boy.Ever since we been tring to have a child.No luck I went to a fertility doctor and they said my sperm was good.He said my wife might need clomid.What do you think?
I'm not sure if you've/she's done this already, but before resorting to clomid I'd try to confirm whether or not she is ovulating - because that is what clomid does - it makes you ovulate.  I've been on it 4 times now, and it isn't exactly fun, so you want to make sure that is where the problem is because it could be several other things, but that is usually the number one issue.  She could have regular periods and still not be ovulating.  Ways she can track if she is ovulating is by charting her basal body temperature, monitoring her cervical fluid, and doing ovulation predictor tests to detect the LH hormone surge right before ovulation.  A good website for information on these things is fertilityfriend.com - she could actually use it to chart her temps and it takes all the guesswork out of it.  Once she's got that down, another way to confirm it is to do a test for progesterone levels at 7 days past ovulation - but she'd have to nail down the ovulation date first.  Overall, I'd say you need to confirm whether or not she is in fact ovulating before you put her through the not so fun clomid treatments.  If you've already determined or determine in the future that that is the problem, I'd say go for it!  Good luck!
I would try the clomid.  It helps you ovulate and ovulate more.   They say there are side effects like hot flashes, etc, but it's not that bad.  It's inexpensive and you take if for 5 days.   I don't think you are suppose to do it for more than so many cycles.  

It would be especially helpful if she doesn't have a regualr menstrual cycle.
I would have to disagree with Yvette about going into it blindly.  While everyone is different and it is POSSIBLE she will experience little or no side effects, I've had months that were absolutely, indescribably horrible on clomid and it has put a tremendous strain on my marriage as a result.  I also know that I am not alone and many women experience side effects as badly as I have.  I would definitely NOT use it unless you know that ovulation is the problem and that it would help.
There are far too many questions that should be broached b4 answering such a loaded question. First, if a dr says it is ok, I agree with Yvette. I o on my own and have been rx'd clomid. It is to produce more eggs to increase my chances. It is the least costly of all fertility treatments that I am aware of. However, tests need to be done to see where the problem lies. If it is a Lp problem or a lining problem all clomid will do is make it worse. Only a dr can answer this question. If you have more info, please share.