Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
cord accident

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

cord accident

Last week I went in for my 19 week ultrasound and found that the baby had a white ring around the brain and that the heart stopped beating.  I had to deliver a son that evening..devastating.   After he was born my OBGYN said that he had the cord wrapped tightly around his shoulder and twice around his neck...thus why there was swelling on the brain.  I'm so scared to try again but they believe that this was a total freak accident.  What are the chances of this occuring again?  They are testing his chromosomes but my dr thinks its pretty obvious what happened..do I just have bad luck or are there reasons for why it got tangled around him? I'm just praying that this was a freak accident...they said that I could start trying again in about 6 weeks.  Please enlighten me on anything you know on this matter. I'm hoping that you can tell me that this was just bad bad luck and that I should be fine for next time.
A devasted mom....
Shayla
Tags: Fertility
Oh my gosh!  I am so sorry to hear what has happened.  Please know that this is definitely not likely to happen again and it is just horrible, rotten luck.  I can't even imagine the pain that you are in but know that time heals all.  The chances of cord accidents are pretty low.  My neighbor lost her little boy last year.  He was almost full term, 8 1/2 months.  A clot formed in his cord and deprived him of oxygen and nutrients.  She found out at routine exam.  I think the chances of that were like 1 in 10,000.  Her ob had never even seen that happen in his practice.  She and her husband were devastated but I'm glad to say that she has bounced back and will soon be ttc again.  I hope the same for you but take the time you need.  Good Bless.
Im so sorry. I can only imagine what your going through. I would be scared to try again too if i were you but it sounds like a freak and unfortunate thing to happen. I would say the chances of that happening at all are extremely small so they must be even smaller odds for it to happen a second time. Unless your obgyn comes up with a clear explanation as to why it happened i would look at it as a sheer accident. You shouldnt carry on worrying if it will happen again (easier said than done i know).
You were fortunate enough to be touched by an angel and god made this one so special he wanted it back.
Try again when your ready.
My thoughts are with you.
That's exactly what it was, just a very unfortunate freak accident. Shayla, you and your family are still in my prayers. If the doctor say's you can try in 6 weeks and you are up to it, then go for it.
I'm really don't know enough about it... but if it was that common there would all kinds of do's and don't to try to avoid it and all kinds of checks to look for it... Unfortunately it is just one of those really bad things that happen... I'm really sorry.. I'm sure you must feel like you just can't get a break... You were so far along, I thought for sure this was gonna be it.. my heart aches for you hon.. At the very least, at least you know you can carry a pg...  So there is hope.. lots of it..

I really hope you are do okay.. I'm sure not great but finding a way to cope... if you ANYthing at all.. let me know.. or just to chat.. (big hug) Hannah
I'm so sorry for your loss.  I will thinking of you and your family.  Please try to be strong-- it really does sound like this was a freak occurrence.  Again, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
I am so sorry to hear your news:( you and your family will be in my thoughts. I agree with all the others sounds like an unfortunate freak occurrence that unfortunately had to happen to you. I am very sorry and will be keeping you in my thoughts through this sad time. SENDING YOU AND YOURS A GREAT BIG HUG!!! stay strong. and you will be a mom. Believe in that.
This also happened to another lady in our forum SueGre. Maybe the two of you and help each other out .I am sorry for your loss and can not even start to know how you are feeling. Strangely the other lady lost a son as well at 20 weeks. God be with you and I would try again as the chances are so small of it happening again.
I think about you every day and am so sad for you. Cord accidents do happen but are not a common thing. There is a woman on the maternal forum that had that happen, too. There must be a site that has info on it. I have heard(don't know if there is truth to it or not)that working or doing a lot that requires your hands and arms be above your head can cause the cord to wrap. Like I said though, that may be false, I don't have back up on it, just word of mouth. Maybe Peekawho can help answer for you. She is a L&D Nurse and very smart. Try putting a post to her to see if she can relieve some of your fears for trying again. (((hugs)))
I am so sorry for your loss.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
My heart absolutely aches for you. I know you can't help but to be nervous to try again but I wish you the best of luck and a quick ttc journey...