Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
cost of egg donor IVF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

cost of egg donor IVF

I was supposed to go for my next IVF this coming week, and the doctor just called to tell me I only have one follicle, and that he did not reccomend continuing with this cycle.  I just turned thirty years old yesterday, and he said the words that were hardest to hear "there is always egg donation....."  My question to all of you who have used donor eggs, is what are the costs like, and what was your experiance?  The thing I want more than anything is to have another baby, but it seems that everyone else gets to have what I want.........  I doesn't really help that my best friend found out three days ago that she is pregnant with her third. :(  I would love to hear any imput that you all might have.  Thanks so much, take care!
I would also love any information anyone might have about embryo adoption.......  I am interested in both options.  Thanks!
I don't really know much about it but have poked around sites. I think it will cost close to $20,000
I am so sorry that you have to go thru this.  Hang in there.........
I'm doing an egg donor cycle right now..it was expensive.
And i had insurance that covered most of it!!
I had to pay $5000 for the donor....
$2600 for medical testing on the donor (insurance dosent cover this..)
My meds were covered by my insurance..
but they wouldnt pay for the donor meds... thats about another $3000
BUT i was lucky..i had to only pay $1000 for my donor meds... i contacted a  company that helped me get the more expensive meds for the donor...
Also my insurance paid for ALL the donors medical stuff.. and egg retrvial..etc....... that would have costs us BIG bucks.. so i'm thankful for that...
So in all ... it costs us about $8,600... and thats WITH insurance..
This is our only chance at having a baby... we cant afford it again...
i'm 4 days past embryo transfer now.... and i dont think it worked for us!! I dont feel ANYTHING!  :o(
Please keep in mind you are not supposed to feel anything. It's too early & most people wont even know they are pregnant yet.  Think positive!!!
Thanks... I'm just feeling so hopeless right now...
So much rides on this cycle. *sigh* Thanks again for the kind words.. :o)
I just figured out our donor costs yesterday for tax purposes.  We spent around 8,000 for donor insurance,meds, and testing.  We did not have to pay a fee because we knew our donor.   I do know that embryo adoption is MUCH cheaper.  
Hi there!
I just read that you are only 30 years old and maybe you should try a few more times with your own eggs before you decide donor eggs.
We look for donors your age so if I were you I would explore all my possibilities before moving to donor. I think donor eggs is a great idea but it should be the last option, especially for a 30 year old.
I think it's too soon to feel any symptoms so there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't feel positive about this cycle. Good luck :)
Hi! I know... Its pretty early.  Those dang HPT are messing with me...  turning me into a Negative Nancy... lol.. :o) I'm 5dp5dt....
Unfortunately I think my eggs are a big part of our problem......  I have lost 5 pregnancies (two being ectopic) and for each consecutive IVF cycle ( I think we have done 4 or 5, but not all of them were completed cycles.... we had quite a few cancelled)we have done, the number of follicles has dwindled from having 12-14 to having just 1 that didn't look normal.  I think the reccomendation was made becuase my overies just don't respond to meds anymore, and I have had two ectopics removed so my tubes are gone as well.....  The clinic I go to is very good, and I don't think the doctor would have even mentioned it if he thought that there was much more they can do.  I have been trying to have a second child for almost seven years........  in those seven years everything with my ovaries has only gotten worse.  I have looked into embryo donation quite a bit, and wondering if that might be the best way to go.....  Thanks so much for all of your input, it is much appreciated!
My friend Melissa_71 on here just did IVF & she also I think only had 1-3 folliciles but only had 1 (one) good fertalized egg when they did transfer & now looking that she may be pregnant.  
Keep all of your options open.
The HPT are making you negative because you are testing too soon......... Hang in there.
Thats what happend to me... I just wasnt responding to the stim meds...it was so frustrating. This whole thing is...
You'll be in my thoughts...
Thanks..i will..
I'm not giving up hope yet.. :o)
The last time I did an IVF we had four follicles and one did fertilize, but it was abnormal and so we didn't have anything to transfer.........  One of my RE's told me a few years ago that he thinks I have a higher rate of chromosomally abnormal eggs than most people my age, so I am guessing that getting pregnant using my own eggs is going to be VERY difficult if we can't get many to grow, and there a lot of abnormal ones in the few we get....  I am thinking embryo donation might be the way to go for us, much cheaper than egg donation and as long as MY eggs aren't involved, I'll probably have a better chance of actually having a baby to hold in my arms......  Thanks so much for you input, it does give me a little hope, but I still don't think it's going to happen for me with my own eggs.......
You will also be in my thoughts....... I really hope this is it for you!  Good luck!
It will cost us $22,000 total and that is with us NOT buying eggs. That is with a known donor, ie a sibling. My sister is being tested now. Insurance does not cover anything for donors.
I am pre- menopausal.
I am 36 and I have 4 failed IVF and 2 failed IUI's I do not produce eggs.

Good Luck to you.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
B
Wow!  I wonder how my hubby and i did ours so cheap!  ours was only around $8,000! plus around $1,300 for meds. It is so weird how everything in this whole process varies state to state!
We have spend about $10,000 and I have not even paid her personal fee, doctors appointment, IVF etc yet... so It is crazy expenssive in MA
Hi! Your from MA?? Neat.. me too! :o)
My RE is in Springfield... They have a pretty good donor program there. :o)
Not sure what insurance you have..but BC/BS paid for alot of my donor cycle..(i think because i'm under 40..).. it still costs us about $8,600..
But, yeah... MA is crazy expensive in everything!
From Cambridge, MA :)

Im doing it at RSC. They have fees, plus the donor agency has fees, plus the donor herself has a fee,  plus the lawyers, etc. I have to see if my insurance will cover anything at all but RSC is waiting until we get closer and hopefully they will. Im 41, my eggs are not good quality but my clomid challange was good so there is a chance Harvard Pilgrim may pay. Anyway... I hope it is all worthit.

When is your beta test?
I know you are very close:)
I think you can possibly deduct something on your taxes.
Yep, that's what my hubby and i just did!  It was really nice to re-coop some of that $$!  It makes me feel better about spending more!  It's only about 15%, but hey.... it's something!  And, we've already met the amount we needed to spend for 2010! : )  
Yeah..i'm keeping all my reciepts for tax time next year too... :o)
My beta is this Thursday...
Its not looking good though...
BUT..i'm staying positive because we still have 3, day 6 blasts frozen... all 3 very good quality.
So we still have a couple more chances!
And my donor egg nurse told me that we could do a back to back FET off of this cycle..  So we wont have to wait months to try again.. :o)
Don't forget! You can deduct milage to and from the doc office too! and EVERYTHING you pay for out of pocket!  Meds and all!!!!
Please consider embryo adoption!  There are millions of babies waiting for mommies and daddies and they are terminally frozen!
It is much cheaper and you can pick the age of the mom from a list!
Good Luck!
Embryo adoption/donation is not out of the question, although my husband has fears about using someone elses embryo and then having the possibility of the donors, or their families showing up at out door wanting rights to the child.  Fears that I am sure everyone can understand.  I have my appointment with my RE tomorrow morning and I will be talking with her about what our best option would be. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question!  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for some positive news!
I am not involved in embryo adoption at all but I think that when you go this route, everything is done legal & no safer then when you adopt a child.

How about egg donor & this way it will still be your husbands child?  
I think my husband would be more agreeable to using an egg donor (which is covered by my insurance), so no matter what happened no one could say or do anything as it IS his child.  I'll let you all know how things turn out after my appointment......  thanks all for taking the time!
Actually, most embryo adoption (unless you go private -  is way safer than adoption)
the records are sealed - the parents have given up their rights
There is no tracing etc!
interesting topic..we r trying our 2nd ivf in June but my amh just came back low..i had 2 chemicals this past year..have one son from a follistim cycle when i was 33..my DH refuses to discuss donor eggs..RE said he still thinks we have a chance ..fsh is in normal. range.sperm good..he said he thinks we should give it a shot..i am more concerned if it fails how to convince DH....I am ok with it..I dont know..this journey is quite bumpy..sometimes i feel like my head is going to explode..Good Luck to everyone!
We just had ivf treatment with donor eggs,  wife age 46 already with 2 children. The cost for this was $17000 (£10000 including flights, a weeks holiday in a 5 star hotel and transfer from airport and clinic).  we met with consultants and Dr Gazvanni in the uk, and the clinic is in northern Cyprus. There are some cheaper ones but the reason why We went with this clinic was the fact I did not have to wait for email replies, they were instant answers.also there is no waiting for donors. As soon as we agreed with ivf confirming the drugs were with the wife the next day, and it all began.   The donor gave 19 eggs, 15 fertilized, and there were 10 left on day 3.  We had 2 embryos transferred and 8 were frozen. This is our last days of our holiday in Cyprus and now have to wait the until the 18th august. This is our first time to ivf so we are still learning. If you are in the uk and want the clinic name and contact details let me know.

For anyone still looking for info on this --

I am in the midst of my first IVF cycle with donor eggs. It cost about $27,000 -- not including meds. My insurance doesn't cover any donor expenses and has a lifetime fertility benefits max of $10,000 for me, so I am having to pay most of it out-of-pocket.

You can deduct all of your expenses over 7.5% over your adjusted gross income (in the US), so that helps (including donor expenses).

They retrieved 32 eggs, 26 were mature enough to be undergo fertilization, and 24 fertilized successfully. I had 10 make it to blast stage (so I have 9 frozen -- one transferred).

good luck! xx