Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
does your bbt temp drop before ovulation help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

ok this is my first month temping so i know you cant tell
but today is cd14 and my temp really dropped just wondering if
that is a good sign
cd14-97.01
cd13 97.82
That personally hasn't happened to me, but I have heard that some women experience a dip in their temperature before their LH surge, which helps them detect ovulation easier.  It's hard to say if that's what's happening since I don't know all of your temps for the month, but that could very well be the case if you're taking your temps at the same time and nothing else has changed.  Keep it up and then when the month is over, hopefully you will see a definite pattern.  

I don't know what your history is or how long you've been TTC, but a good resource is definitely the book by Toni Weschler called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility".  It gives a great overview of all the different ovulation signs (temperature, cervical mucus, etc) and how to track everything.  There are numerous examples of different temperature patterns and a lot of sample charts that are wonderful.  I've seen a lot of people mention this book and I would certainly say that it's a "must read" if you're TTC.  

Best of luck to you on your journey to have a family!
It happens to me every cycle. If that does prove to be what it is, you are among the lucky. It's a nice signal that o is coming.  Estrogen is responsible for low temps and we get a surge of it when we get our Lh surge. Fertility Monitors register the estrogen surge, too. It is what causes that dip just b4 o. Not all women see it. If your temp shoots up and stays elevated, that is what it was. Good luck!
my temp drops on the day of the lh surge. Next day it rises...not sure if that means i ovulated the next morning or will soon
I did mention a drop in BBT day before LH and on the day of the surge on my charts.  Then I have a sharp rise.  I am not sure how typical this is though.  
Helen, that sounds like me...on the day og surge it drops then there is a sharp rise the next day. They say when your temp rises it means u have already ovulated. But then they also say that it takes 24-36hrs for ovulation to occur after the surge...
i dont know what to trust.
I always found that confusing!  On one hand, it takes about 2 days for my temps to go above the coverline.  On the other hand, because of the drop it looks like a sharp rise the day after the surge when ovulation supposed to take place.  At least I know when it's definitely over....