Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
drinking during tww

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

drinking during tww

hi all, just a quick question and im sure this question has been posted a few times however i was just wondering how adverse the effects of drinking wine would be in the tww and you just happen to be pregnant and find out for example 1 week later thanks girls
While the tragedy of FAS is well established, less certain is whether casual consumption of alcohol while trying to conceive either hinders or helps a woman’s chances. Past published studies have been mixed as to whether there is an association between moderate alcohol consumption and waiting time to pregnancy. One study did show decreased probability of conception in women imbibing 1-5 drinks per week. Another study saw no effect of 7 or more drinks per week in younger woman but women over 30 were more likely to be infertile. None of these studies have stratified the data to see if any type of alcohol might benefit or hinder. Yet a recent study drew a mildly positive correlation between moderate wine drinking and pregnancy.

The study, published in the September Journal of Human Reproduction was conducted at the Danish Epidemiology Science Center in Copenhagen by Mette Juhl, who had already researched the impact of moderate alcohol consumption on conception. Her past survey work concluded that moderate consumption of alcohol (up to 7 glasses per week) does not reduce a woman’s chances of purposefully getting pregnant.

For this study, the researcher set out to take a closer look at specific types of alcohol consumed by the 29,844 pregnant women who had participated in the first survey. Researchers discovered that wine drinkers had a nearly 30 percent greater chance than nondrinkers of getting pregnant within one year of trying. Woman who exclusively drank wine became pregnant sooner than those that drank only beer or hard liquor (spirits). Interestingly, drinking all three types of alcohol was associated with the shortest time to pregnancy.

Again, the study confirmed that heavy drinking of spirits actually decreases conception chances. Women who drank more than seven shots per week were 240 percent less likely to conceive. However, it is important to note that many of these women also had other risk factors for subfertility (smoking, greater incidence of pelvic infections or abdominal surgeries).

Ms. Juhl is cautious to point out that it may not be wine consumption per se, causing the increase or decrease in pregnancy success, but rather other lifestyle influences that may go along with wine drinking. For instance, some oenophiles enjoy healthier food than nondrinkers and beer or liquor drinkers. They also are more likely to be of average weight, and practice healthier lifestyle habits. The wine drinkers were less likely to smoke; smoking has been shown to prolong time to conception. Other confounding factors such as caffeine consumption, partner’s age and frequency of intercourse were not evaluated. She cautioned against drinking alcohol specifically to try to conceive, since this benefit was quite mild.

As little as one drink per day in pregnant women has been linked to decreased cognitive performance in their infants. Alcohol can have detrimental effects on the fetus as early as three weeks gestation - before a woman even knows she is pregnant. The "safe" amount of alcohol intake for pregnant women has not been established. Given that wine drinking could just be a proxy for a healthier lifestyle and the known negative effects of alcohol on the fetus, it is premature to encourage the consumption of wine to enhance conception.
There is no medical evidence that drinking in the tww has an ill effect according to "What to Expect When You Are Expecting". If I abstained from drinking while ttc, I wouldn't have had a drink in more than 20yrs and would probably be certifiable by now, lol.

My favorite quote from one of the ladies that used to post here and is now a mom on the 35+ forum on drinking and tww: "If I'd have known it was my last drink, I'd have made it stronger".  (TankerChic)
That is SO funny ~ feel the same about it ~ the above post I made above was what I had found on the net and have found others attributing Red Wine to building up the lining, etc..etc...  I'm now back from US/BW and waiting for 1WW results ~ next Monday is the pregnancy test ~ hoping it worked this time~!!~...it was pretty funny ~ the nurse drawing my blood said it looked really good and I must be following the advice on drinking red wine ~ told her yes, merlot drownee here..!!...she just laughed and said she was glad to hear it ~ that should attest to everything ~
With my first daughter, I didn't believe I could get pregnant to begin with at 40.  I was only humoring my husband by going off the pill.  I got preggo immediately, but didn't know it and I spent July fourth weekend having many margaritas!
When I missed my period I freaked out, but my OBGYN said not to worry and my girl is a healthy 3 year old.
Just a few glasses of red or white can help you relax during the tww which is terribly stressful.  
Do you think French or Italian women stop drinking wine during their tww - I bet they dont even think about the tww to begin with.
thank you all so much for your information and time i really appreciate and value it
good luck to all of you ladies and hope you all get your BFP soon