Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
exercise during my IVF cycle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

exercise during my IVF cycle

Hello Everyone!
I am starting my first IVF cycle (day 1 of Lupron) due to "unexplained infertility" and my MD said no exercise other than walking without breaking a sweat along with no intercourse, caffeine, alcohol, etc...I was just wondering if anyone else's MD allowed a bit more activity ie slow bike riding. I am in great health other than the fertility issue and exercise regularly. I'm just wondering if I have a very conservative doc.
Thanks!
I was told it was okay to do moderate exercise up until retrieval and transfer - although the more meds you take, the more uncomfortable you may be.
With IVF, prior to retrieval you may feel bloated and sore from all the follicles.
After retrieval you will be sore and crampy.
After transfer - NO exercise - no lifting, no nothing 'fun'. Another words - become a couch potato.
I don't find the last part too bad.... I load up on books, magazines, puzzle books, and hubby got me a DS to play with.
Thank you that info really helps! The unknown can be very scary!

Also, what about intercourse?? Do you really need to abstain from day 1 of IVF cycle?
Especially no intercourse, due to the contractions. Sorry, but it's really not worth it after the expense, time, etc. involved with IVF.
No intercourse after transfer!

you can certainly try before that,,,, but from my experience, the more follicles I had - the more uncomfortable I was and sex was the furthest thing from my mind. The closer it was to retrieval (ie the bigger the follicles) I was very sore and bloated, and with retrieval it was worse - very sore.
After transfer, you are not to have any 'contractions" of the uterus (sex, heavy lifting, exercise.....)
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers