follicle count
Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone can provide some insight. I am currently undergoing cycle monitoring.
I had an ultrasound today at day 8 of my cycle. they told me that i had 15 follicles on my right ovary and 15 on my left. she said they were all pretty small.

my question is regarding the number of follicles - what is an average number? does the number of follicles change during your cycle. is a total of 30 too many or too little? is this the number of follicles that would be used to determine ovarian reserve??? I am 36
thanks everyone!
Unless you have PCOS (polycystic ovaries), 30 is actually a very good follicle count for your age! In general, the number of eggs are higher when we're younger and diminish as we age. When I had my IVF two years ago (at age 35), I had about 16 follicles initially (both sides combined), and ended up with 11 eggs retrieved. So technically, your numbers are better than mine were! Another test you might want to consider to check your ovarian reserve is a day 3 FSH test. Good luck with everything!
At age 37 when I did my first IVF, My count was 13.  I was not successful with the inital IVF"s and had to go another route.
Having 30 I agree with Heather, is great.  Best Wishes to you!!!
When I'm 39, I retrieved 20 eggs and only fertilized 12 and result to my now 8 month old son.  Your number is a very good start.
Good luck
I should probably also add that I now have a one-year-old daughter from my IVF.

:-)

thanks everyone. everything i have read appears to be that maybe 30 is too high??? i do get regular periods so not sure about pcos. i guess i will have to wait when i speak with the doctor in a month. i did have an fsh test and follicule count on day 3 - was wondering if the follicle count on day 8 would be the same as it would have been on day 3? my fsh on day 10 was 3- not sure what it was on day 3 (haven't gotten those results yet), does fsh change during the month? if so, does it increase before ovulation or decrease?

ps i wish the clinic would explain what the results mean, as opposed to just leaving me automated messages with my results - it is driving me crazy!
I think your numbers are great!  When I had my egg retrieval, they retrieved 29 follicles and the doctor was ecstatic about that!  Of the 29, 16 fertilized!  Our first try with IVF was unsuccessful, unfortunately.  And then only one of our fertilized embryos made it through the freeze/thaw process. But I am now almost 7 weeks pregnant!  So ... really ... to give you HOPE ... all it takes is ONE in the end anyway!!

GOOD LUCK!
thanks so much, one more question...my dr. just told me that my prolactin is elevated so maybe it is pcos as i read that this is one of the symptoms??? however, i do get regular periods and i read that irregular or no period are one of the symptoms that must be present for pcos. I am also undergoing cycle monitoring now and my levels on day 12 are as follows
LH 12 (was 6 on day 11)
Progesterone 11 (remained steady over the last 5 days
Estrogen 983 - level has increased the last 5 days
1 dominant follicule at 19 (30 in total) - 1 follicule growing about 2mm per day
is this normal??