Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
follicle size at ovulation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

follicle size at ovulation

Does anyone know what is the minimum size a follicle needs to be before a person ovulates "naturally?"  I did a round of follistim and I was afraid that I would ovulate before the trigger shot (based on when I usually ovulate) but my RE assured me that "you dont ovulate on your own until the follicle is at least 24 mm in size."  On Friday the biggest follicle was at 18 mm and he didn't want me to come back til Tues.  Because I felt like I was ovulating on Sun (I'm 99% sure I did) he had me come on Monday and said the follicles were still there but didn't let me look at the ultrasound screen.
Does anyone know what is the minimum size of a follicle for ovulation to happen? I'm starting to freak out that he's lying to me.
Thanks!
You know, 24 mm sounds big to me.  My own RE said 18 mm.  He had been monitoring me for natural ovulation - I need to take meds once I ovulate - and when I got pregnant in July my one follucle measured 18 mm.
I was told before my IVF that mature follicles is anything over 22. They willnot retrieve anything under 22
Good question!!!!  I think anything from 18mm is risky, and as you know, I've experienced the same situation as you, and I'm pretty annoyed about it.  Once a follie gets to 16mm, pregnancy is possible I've been told.  I'll be doing the same as you this time around, and insisting on an u/sound before IUI, as I can't waste any more money on doctors errors.
AGAIN, GOOD LUCK:0):0)
hey  i was told by my doc that thee rite size is 18mm....but i read so many diff things in different forums
i even read that 14-15mm folliciles also can contain eggs
i had my 1st iui done on 26th aug goin for bpt on 12th i hope its positive...
i had three folliciles 18mm 15mm 14mm
lots of baby dust to all
Hey, good luck Lynette!!!  I hope you get that positive!!!

From what I've read and been told, usually 18mm is considered 'ripe' enough, but it is possible for follies around 15/16mm to still contain an egg, and lead to a pregnancy.  With my daughter, I had three follies, 20mm, 17mm and 16mm, and I got my daughter out of that - but I was advised that I could have had a multiple pregnancy.  With my son, he came from an 18 or 19mm follie.

Spreading the baby dust everywhere!!!!!  To all us 'mamas in waiting':0)
hello everyone
i am new to all of this. i am in second cycle with my dr. for insemination. had us and bw today. day 11 of my cycle. woman told me one follice at 20.i think i have 7 in total, strong one on left i believe. i am to go tomorrow again for us and bw. she said i will be ovulating this weekend. my day 14, normal or average ovulation usually would be monday the 9th.
last week i took femera to strengthen my eggs, cells.
i am concerned about getting hcg shot as well, multiple births. any thoughts anyone? or chances of pregnancy? i think other follicle at size 18.
Hi there!

Welcome to the site:0)

If you have a 20mm, plus a 18mm, you would theoretically have a chance of a multiple.  My RE discussed with me before I conceived my daughter the chances of multiples and my OK to go ahead.  From memory, I had a 20mm, a 17mm, a 16mm and a few 13mm before I took the trigger.  The chances of all the follies fertilising really depends on each person, their age, and medical history.  It's not always likely that all will fertilise, but your RE should tell you the risks, and if you're OK with it, then all is well.  If you're worried about having the risk, you should discuss it with the clinic.  

Good Luck:0)
i have 3 follicles all 17-19"
im wondering after having just finished my first round of clomid and then having the hcg shot
what are the odds of getting pregnant naturally ?
what are the odds of having multiples?
With my first IUI, i had 4 follies - all measuring around 18mm when Dr had me do the trigger shot. Last IUI, i had 2 follies - 20 and 18 and dr had me do a trigger.... so waiting until 22 to trigger doesn't seem to necessarily be what all drs do but maybe your dr has had more success with patients waiting until follies grow bigger? I did not get pregnant with either of my IUI's tho.
We visited doctor today and found the folical size is 14mm on day 12. Doctor told us to come again on day 14 to check the folical size again. What do you think how big it will grove on this 2 day?
took clomid on the 2day of my menses 50mg daily for 5days,and on the 12thday i had only 1 follicle 21mm,,,can i get preg with this,and when do i ovulate...am confused