Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
getting pregnant after polyps removed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

getting pregnant after polyps removed

My husband and I have been ttc for 3 1/2 years with no luck.  In the summer I finally went to a specialist and I had an HSG where they found a polyp 1.5 cm blocking my fallopian tube.  I had a hysteroscopy to remove it and while he was in there he found a few more polyps.  We tried three months naturally and now we are on our second month of clomid/ovidree/IUI.  I keep having u/s and the nurse is seeing polyps.  The dc did an SIS u/s in Dec. and said it was a thickining of the uterine wall. Now it took me two months to finally get him to call me back because the nurses say you talk to him after 3 months if you are still not pregnant. My first IUI went perfect. Two follicles size 19 and 22. DH sperm count 60 million both days. BAck to back iui 12 hrs after ttrigger shot.  Lining, 13.5 progesterone 85. Now the doctor said it could be  apolyp and he wants to go back and do a hysteroscopy.  I don't like the sound of that. He has such a good reputation but I feel he has gotten too big and it is like a factory in there. I hope I don't need a lapo. I have no signs of endo except I'm irregular. My cycles are between 31-38 days.  What should I do?  
First off I am very sorry for your struggles, I know how frustrating it is.  When they removed the polyps from your tube did they then tell you that your tubes were clear?  I think it wouldn't hurt to get a laparascopy before spending more time and money on IUI or IVF.  That way, you will know for sure where to go from there.  When they do the lap they should also do an endometreal sampling to make sure you don't have endometreosis, that is a good sign if you don't have any of the symptoms.  Also, maybe find a new doc?  Just from what you've said I have to agree with you on him getting to big, too many patients, and not taking the right amount of time with each patient.
I too, had some polyps removed, but they were from my uterus.  I also have a thick lining on my uterus wall however, my husband and I did our first IVF cycle and are pregnant with twins!
I hope you find your answer soon-it's no fun not knowing what is going on.
I am wishing you all the best!
I to am sorry for your strugle.   I also have a polyp that i am going to have removed next month.  I agree with jjhs44, u might want to find another doctor.   When i have the hysteroscopy done my doctor is going to go ahead and check everything else out in hopes of not having to perform the procedure again.  So, i will say it again i would just find another doctor.  My husband and i have been ttc for about 1 year total, we have not been trying as long as you have, but i understand.  Girl, somedays i just want to cry!!!! Because it is frustating.
Hi I understand your frustration. Im 35 and I just had a hysteroscopy done on 9/10/09 and they removed many uterin polyps. I had a sonohystogram done before that which pointed out that I had a mass in my uterus. Your doctor should have never started IUI procedure without doing a sonohystogram or a hysteroscopy. I was very stressed over getting the hysteroscopy done but you know if was no big deal and Im glad I did it ; the doctor even gave me the pictures of was my uterus looked like before and after he removed the polyps. My opinion is that your doctor is money hungry; I hate to say that but its just sad that alot of doctors only care about the cash and not the patient. My advice to you would be to go see a new fertility doctor; who is also an endocrinolist and tell them that you want a hysteroscopy done; then this way atleast the camera will let you know exactly whats going on and they can take care of it. I hope all the best for you and dont worry YOU WILL BE FINE!
first off I don't have polyps.. But I feel like you about RE ... I live in the Tampa bay area My RE... I feel Is money hungry as well. the place is like a 7-elven.. I've been trying since May of 08.. I fell pregnant Nov 08 only to miscarry in DEC 27th 08... Ive gone through 2 iui with injectables, 2 hsgs,and still nothing I asked for a lap he said no you have great reserve go straight to ivf.. I was like I wished I had 12000 just lying around.. But in the back of my head I'm like you don't care really !!! I ask the questions i really get no answers... I chart, I use OPKs and he tells me we don't go by that cause we control your hormones... Hello charts don't lie.... This Re Is in all the magazines as well. But I'm scared of the influence of me transferring to someone else with his popularity...
i had my surgery and they found around 20 polyps in my uterus and my fallopian tubes were blocked. but they un-kinked them and now they are open! they pushed dye through to make sure that they were open. and they are still opened. then my uterus wall was really thick. so they shaved it down after removing the polyps to make my uterus back to normal size and get rid of them. now everything is fine. and i dont have anymore scars, or adhesions. and my doctor put some kind of serum on my uterus and my fallopian tubes to keep the adhesions off, and the scar tissue down.

we have to wait for 3 months also, to get pregnant but if we dont get pregnant then we have to have it put directly into my uterus.

but my doctor doesn't think im going to have to go that far. because my periods are regular and im ovulating. i had to go get ovulation tests and take them before my surgery. and go get blood work to make sure i was ovulating. and im ovulating normally, so we will have to wait and see if i can get pregnant. hopefully this helps you with your questions! but never give up hope!!!!
Hello everyone,

I'm 31 y/o and i've been having heavy periods (19 days apart) for some time and so I brought it to the attention of my physician.  I then had an ultrasound done and it revealed a fibroid.  I later had a sonohystogram  which revealed a polyp of 1cm.  My gynecologist suggest a hysteroscopy.  Having read the pamphlet and her explanation of the procedure and its disadvantages I am very very concern about under going the procedure for various reasons.  I have never been pregnant nor have I tried to get pregnant before.  I wonder if i should try to get pregnant first before undergoing hysteroscopy.  For religious reasons i'm unable to take blood transfusion and the procedure may call for that if there are complications.  

I feel really lost and down.  I intend on having children someday, perhaps even soon and I really don't know what to do.

1. No hysterscopy-try to get pregnant.

2. Yes hysterscopy-possibility of complications, not being able to conceive later, possible reoccurring of the polyp.