hernia and male fertility
Hi all- DH is going tomorrow for first semen analysis.  Just wondering- he had 2 hernias - one in childhood and one about 5 yrs ago...can that have any effect on sperm count/ quality?  Also- about how long does it take for results?  THANK you!!!
HI Jess honestly I'm not sure if a hernia can effect his sperm count. I just wanted to tell you my RE office usually can get the results within 2 days unless they require me to come in for a consult. Then they tell me at our appointment. Good luck- I hope his SA comes back really good :)
My DH just had an SA this month as a sort of start to our formal infertility dealings, and his appt was at 8am and we were able to call that afternoon and get almost all the results. There was one test, for morphaligy (sp?) that took a week to get. I don't know if most labs are that quick, but I hope yours is, it's really nice to get the info.
Hi Jess.  I'm not sure what type of hernias your husband had, but mine had inguinal hernias on both sides and had to have surgery about 3 years ago now.  When we starting having TTC troubles, he was very concerned that the hernias had messed something up, but he had a SA and everything was good (not off the charts, but perfectly adequate).  I did some research on it at that time and the only thing I found to be a problem was that if you had the surgery, there was a VERY small risk that the vas deferns (the tube that carries the sperm) could be damaged.  I hope that gives your DH some reassurance that he is OK.  Hope he gets great results!
Thanks so much!!!  They said to call in 5-7 days....so I'll try Friday- keeping our fingers crossed on his SA and my day 3 FSH.  I'll keep you posted....ssbd to all!!!