Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
hormones tested after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

hormones tested after miscarriage

I just had a miscarriage 2 days ago, at 7 weeks. This was my first pregnancy at age 37. I want to get pregnant ASAP since my time is limited. My doctor suggested I get my hormones tested with a reproductive endocrinologist prior to trying again. Has anyone done this, and it paid off? Also, my progesterone level was low-7 on my pregnancy labs before the m/c.  Does anyone know if that means that my progesterone is always low?
I am so sorry about your loss.  I am in the two week wait after IVF and was just reading about progesterone b/c mine is unusually high at 193 7 dpo.  Progesterone should be higher in your luteal phase and will continue to rise during pregnancy especially once the placenta forms.  I read that low progesterone can be associated with miscarriage and progesterone supplements may be necessary. Did you have any trouble getting pregnant?  If so a hormone work up wouldn't hurt.  But if you got pregnant easily and you know your progesterone level was low then testing may help if you wait a couple of cycles and have you Day 21 (I think) progesterone level checked.    I have never been pregnant so I don't have a lot of info on the subject, just what I recently read.  Sorry.  
First, I am sorry for your loss. It doesn't mean that your progesterone is always low. It could mean there was a problem with the egg and your body was doing the natural thing, try to get rid of it. I'm sorry. At 37, day 3 tests should be performed to see where you stand as well as a cd21 progesterone. They are usually the 1st place any re will start. Good luck! :)
I have to go in two weeks and have all kind of hormone checks and a bunch of other blood work to see if they can figure out why I miscarried yet again.   So I don't think the testing can hurt anything only help.  So good luck to you.