Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
hot tub effect sperm?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

hot tub effect sperm?

I read somewhere that hot water ruins sperm and I have been trying for 2 years with no luck to concieve (conceive) a baby and my DH goes into the hot tub almost every night.  he went in the night before giving a specimen sample..  could this effect the results???  I wont get the test results until Dec. HELP!
I thought the hot tub is bad if you are pregnant since it raises your temps.  I am not sure about its effect on sperm....
yes, it raises the body temp. i am suprised that they didn't tell you when you scheduled the sample.  tight underwear, hot baths, hot tubes.  i think the sperm need to stay a couple degrees cooler than the body, thats why they hang off from the man.
Hi, yes i was told for DH to stay OUT of the tub because the heat can kill the sperm. I was also told to stay in the tub no longer than 10 minutes if you preggers so your core body temp doesnt raise!

SSBD to you!
Yes debramac is right...hot tubs can be bad for sperm...that is why the testes hang outside the body - to keep them cooler than core body temperature.
You're not getting your results until December? That's forever. Did they say why it will take so long? We got our back in a few days. My husband's first result was 150 million per whatever. They second time we had it done it went down to 11 million. My parents had gotten a hot tub and we had no idea it would kill the sperm. When we got our results back the doctor asked what we did differently. We told her about the hot tub and she said it was a big no no. She told us it would take up to 90 days to regenerate. The third time we had it tested it was back up to 166 million. She also told us no heated seats and no tight underwear. My husband is a police officer and has to wear a duty belt to work, which is pretty tight. That didn't seem to effect his count, though.
Thanks for the info everyone.
I won't get the results until Dec b/c that is when my gynocologist booked my appt for. She said she would give me all the results at the same time.  She is the one that suggested for my DH to get the test done.  So she ordered the test.  I got blood work done and a hystersalpingogram done.  She never told me anything of what we should do to prepare for the test.  We were only told by the lab technician abstience for 2-4 days prior to his sample being given.  
So it sounds like he is going to have to give another sample, so it can be more acuarate?