Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
how much does femara/letrozole cost WITHOUT insurance?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

I read that femara (aka letrozole) is more expensive than clomid, but I can't find any sites that tell me how much it costs.  I DO have insurance, but fertility stuff isn't covered and I was paying $5 for each 50mg pill for clomid.  I was up to 4 pills a day for the 5 days at the end, so it got kinda pricy.  Can anyone who's taken femara that didn't have it covered by insurance tell me how much it costs?  Also, do you take it the same way as clomid (cd 3-7 or 5-9) ??  
Have you tried buying it overseas?  My RE is the one who told me to get my injectables from a place in London.  It is so much cheaper!  You just have to order it in enough time for it to get here....3-7 days shipping.
Then again, if you are only getting a few pills a month, it might not be worth it with the shipping costs.
Hello there.  My insurance does not cover any fertility meds/treatments either.  But it did cover femara.  That's because femara isn't primarily a fertility medication, it's actually used to treat breast cancer.  So you may want to try to run it through your insurance first and see what happens.  You may be pleasantly surprised like we were.  :)  I can't remember the price difference if I'd had to pay for it, but I do know it was at least double what I was paying for the clomid (150 mg).  Anyway, good luck to you!!
my walgreens reciept said it would have been$117.69 w/o insurance for a full round of Femara.  I think that is twice what generic clomid was at $50 for a full round
FEMARA 2.5 MG TABLET (NOV)
Drug Description and Image   $386.28 30day
                                           $763.53 60 day
                                           $1,141.89 90 day
@ Costco....I take for BC with no insurance coverage...my doctor gives me samples every month...bless her!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about Femara but I got my Clomid at Walmart and it only cost me $18 for 10 50mg pills.  1.80 a pill.  My RE was going to have me try Tamoxifen next (so it wouldn't thin my lining more) and it went through insurance, I would have paid $9 for it.  Anybody know the difference between Femara and Tamoxifen?  
femara and tamoxifen are the same thing.  my insurance also does not cover fertility stuff but it  does cover femara like wanting said.
sorry, my mistake (I think) - i don't think femara and tamoxifen are exactly the same but they are very similar in action.
I paid $35 for Clomid and Walgreens said Femara would of been around $120-140.  I believe you take it the same way--but I know Bam1014 on here took it this cycle, so I am sure she'd be willing to answer any questions.
I have taken femara a few times and yes you take it the same as clomid cd3-7 or cd5-9.  I only had to pay my $5 copay for the treatment.
   has anyone take   Femara (letrozole), I need to know what is the difference?
I just bought it earlier this month and it wasn't covered by my insurance. Femara and letrozole is the same thing. :) $90 for 5 pills
Also taking Femara for BC and have been paying 500 + for a 30 day supply.  Really this is so hard to believe the cost.
You can get a discount rx card off the femara.com website.  you can get a script for $10.00
I just lost my insurance and am taking letrozole. Had sticker shock when I asked my walgreens pharmacist how much the prescription was. $1376 for a 90 day supply. I declined as who can afford that? Went to a small pharmacy in a town a few miles away from me in the seattle area where I get some of my prescriptions. Asked him how much it was without insurance. He said $55 for a 30 day supply. Said the other pharmacist either misquoted the price or he was way out of line. It pays to shop around..I did get a two month sample supply from my oncologist until my new insurance kicks in on January 1st, but it is highway robbery to ask someone with breast cancer to pay such an ungodly price for something that will keep them cancer free.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers