Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
i'm 18 and trying to get pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

i'm 18 and trying to get pregnant

hi my name is kimiko and i am 18 i really want to be pregnant and i've been trying too. but i just seem to can't get pregnant (my boyfriend is 27 by the way) can someone please give me advice to what could be wrong i mean i'm so serious my boyfriend and i tried everyday for two months straight and still nothing please!!!!

sincerly,
kimiko
First what normally happens is that you go to your gynocologist, they do a work up on you. Then after you have tried on your own for a year or if the gyn finds something wrong, you then go to a reproductive endo Dr. they will do further work up on you. Most couples it takes on average 6-12 months to get pregnant. Each cycle you have only like 25% chance of getting pregnant. Everything has to be timed just right. You have to know exactly when you are ovulating and then make sure to time sex just right. Usually starting 3 days prior to ovulating until 1-2 days after. The egg only lives 12-24 hours after you ovulate. I would suggest getting ovulation predictor kits, start testing on day 10 of your cycle and test until you get a positive, which is two lines that are as dark or the test line as dark as the control line. Once you see a positive ovulation test, you normally will ovulate 12-36 hours after that. I hope this helps.
I would suggest you wait till you and BOYFRIEND are married and have a home, I had first baby young and trust me it is not easy I wish I had waited now I am in my 30's and having babies it is so much more fun.. I also thought my boyfriend was my forever and he ended up being no where to be found when baby came I raised her 18 years on my own.. Just something to think about.
kimiko - someday,  you'll thank God for unanswered prayers.

This man is way too old for you,  and you aren't married.  This is the time in your life where you figure out what you want to do with your life - get your education,  start on a career or a mission.

You're trying to take the easy way out by binding yourself to an obligation rather than spreading your wings and flying.  

It's unfair to the baby,  and to you,  and this guy will be gone before the baby arrives.
Amen to RockRose's post. I was thinking it but didn't want to say it. There was a large age gap between myself and an ex. At the time the difference didn't seem so vast and oh, "I loved him". One morning I woke up to an old man that was falling apart and had false teeth, bad back, grey hair, ED and all the old age things. I was too young to be doing that. I didn't want to sit at home watching reruns of Andy Griffith and talking about grocery prices. I was still young and had a lot of life left. I do thank God for unanswered prayers. I can't imagine he and I bound for life with a baby today. Phew! I dodged a bullet.
when i was 18 my man was 28 so i dont see the age thing as an issue but we are married now and getting pregnant was and accident for us but we delt with it.are you even ou tof high school? maybe you should wait a few years. ho wlong have you been with this guy? are you sure he is the one you want to spend the rest of your life with? there are alot of questions you need to ask yourself before you really start to try and if you get the answers you want then you go to your doctor and get checked out first.
I would go to your gyno and have them check things to see what's going on and maybe use OPK's and see when you are ovulating to ge the correct times.  I'm not going to judge your age or lifestyle or the age of your BF cause I think there's nothing wrong with the age and it's your own choice when and by whom you are pregnant.  All I can say is make sure you know all the consiquences before you do get pregnant.  And good luck if you deceide this is indeed what you are wanting.

Brandi

PS I too am young only 21 almost 22
HI, gurl well im 19 and my bf is 27 also,, and we are going thru a preagnacy scare rigth now like a lot of this woman have told youm think about it first, you have soo much ahead,, I dont think age matter if he truly loves you, I think his old enough to know what he wants but it doesnt nessesarly mena is what you want, think about everything you wana do before having a family,, I think about it now that im going thru thig, GOD BLESS gurl,, wish you the best
i'm 18, and my boyfriend is almost 20, and we're trying to get pregnant too. i dont see age as a big issue, as long as your sure you love eachother.  alot of young women these days go for older men, because their stable, and have a house and money, but as long as thats not why your together, then thats good.  me and my boyfriend have also been trying for two months, and we both want this soo bad, soo i see where your coming from. i just wanted to wish you the best of luck, and let you know your not alone.
this post was from 7 months ago!! why do they keep bringing old  posts up and dont answer current posts when people really need help not like these 18 yrs who have been trying for only two months give me a break!!! this frastruates me!
I think its a bit harsh that this girl asked for some advice because shes upset she cant conceive & all she has got is people lecturing her! If you have no advice for her.. Dont post comments!
Id say think about exactly what you want & how far you will go to get it.
Im currently overweight and in the next few years i plan to become pregnant, at this stage, for me it wouldnt be a good idea. I bucked up my ideas, joined a gym, changed my diet, started on vitamins n changed my view on life.. I too am only 18 and my boyfriend 20.
I wanted a baby so bad! Especially after i miscarried last year but had a real good think for whats best for my baby, im mature enough for a baby but decided to wait while i get extra healthy to give my baby the best start!
Good luck x
Good luck x
i have a cousin who at the age of 19 had her first child with her still boyfriend, she is now 24 years old with another child both are 6 and 2 years old.  she has just been diagnosed with terminal cervical cancer and we don't know how long she has left to live.  she will be marrying her partner next weekend after 8 years together.

What i am trying to say is if all us young ones had to do what our elders told us and get our career, get married, save money, buy a home we would all be in our late 30's or 40's struggling to have children.  I know some women would prefer there children after they become 30 and i accept those peoples decisions.  however if my cousin didn't plan her life the way she has she would never have had 2 wonderful boys, a roof over her head and a partner who love's her unconditionally

I feel some people have to take a good look at themselves before giving information on people they hardly know over an internet community forum as some of us young ones also have trouble conceiving as i am experiencing 2 and a half years after ttc my first child.  No offence was meant in this message just giving my opinion
Here here. I completely agree.
I am 21 years old and my partner and i have been having unprotected sex for just under a year now. To my frustration every month i get my period! My sister has three boys and she suggested i try the clear blue digital ovulation kits. Has anybody used these kits before and do they know the success rate on them? There are so many people out there in the same position and it is so difficult. My best friend has just found out that she is 7weeks! excellent news for her but as for my partner and i we are still counting our 28day cycle :(
I'm almost 26 and in a serious relationship with my boyfriend and i'm terrified of having a baby now! You need to live for yourself girl, before you make those decisions that cannot be undone. A child is a wonderful thing, but don't you want to give it everything it could ever want/need? Great preparation is in order for you and your life to be ready for a child. Thank about your future child, not yourself.
Hey Hun ! I'm 18 and my bf is 23 in jan! We are also trying for a baby! Two years ago I miscarried my 1st and since then ive wanted nothing else! We really want a baby but we are also stuck :) your not alone darling :) good luck x my fingers are crossed for you.
Im 20 and me and my bf been tryiing for 2yrs i wonder if i can't at all have kids it scares me!!!!What should i do yall????
hello all
im 21 nearly 22 and my husband is 25 we have been trying for a baby for nearly three years now,and still no luck i endless blood test and been told my estrogen levels are low, i feel like my worthless and not a real woman. does anyone else have this problem? i am waiting for my referral and have more tests. i dont know to cope with the disappointment and pain.

any advise would be great

thanks kat x
I think u need to stop worrying about just having a baby and just enjoy ur  life. When u are stressed out about issues ur body will deff. not get pregnant , its been proven in many studies. I am 21 and my boyfriend is 22, and I just found out that I am pregnant.Now the doctors told me it would be very hard for me to get pregnant because i have an unusual cycle, but  i am and it was an accident, no doubt that i am not prepared for, and I am very scared. Enjoy being young and when ur body is ready u will have a baby!!
I just think that if you are willing to make the commitment of a baby, perhaps you should try the commitment of marriage first - its not easy and babies are even harder. Teenagers are kids and should not be TRYING to have babies. I understand that sometimes it happens unplanned, but its not an easy route. I dont think any amount of talking will help you change your mind, but my sister and her bf wanted a baby and made one. They are still together and they LOVE their baby. Not that she would undo him, but life is SO hard for her and she wishes she would have waited longer. At 18 there is NO possible way that you are graduated from college. How do you expect to raise a baby without a good job? Wal mart wages will not support what you need. Do you plan on becoming a burdon on the welfare system or are you putting all your faith in your bf that he will always be a provider? From my experieince, you should only put your faith in GOD and NEVER depend on anyone to ALWAYS take care of you - not husbands, boyfriends, siblings, parents - only YOU have to make YOU survive.

Sorry for the outrage, but this board tends to be for people that are in committed and long term relationships that have beebn trying for quite some time (not two months), not teenagers that are looking to play house. This board supports real WOMEN that have done their research, put in their time, and have the intelligence and means to raise a child.

This is not to say that young people should not have kids. It doesnt mean that young people dont survive when they do have kids at such a young age. But ask ANY teenage mother a few years into raising a child and ask them if they would have waited (if they could have the same child down the road). I gaurentee that all of them would have waited if they could.
I fink getting pregnant is your own choice and having all these people tell u 2 fink about it is jus rubbish. i tried at the age of 18 and tried for a yr and finally gave up im now 19 and still aint pregnant but if u feel you ready for it whats stopping u... i have not yet gone to c my doctor as i no it may take long and they also say if ur trying to hard it wont happen. try to forget that ur trying and jus have sex normally they say it helps.. i no how u feel as i have been trying for ages but it will eventually happen in itds own time.. good luck and i hope that helps !
lol  I'm sorry I've got to laugh.... Help_me_plz19 you say you have been trying for ages.... I've been going to specialist for infertility issue for as long as you are old.  That is trying for ages without being able to find a logical explaination and being told it is unexplained infertility/recurrent miscarriages.  

hi im also 18 never been pregnant never had a misscarraige abortation  or anything im wondering why cant i get pregnant i have a job and my own house so does anybody have advice for me i been with my boyfriend since the 7th grade and known him since the 2nd ive never been with anyby else can somebody help me
Hey babez im 18 soon to be 19 in September. I've been witrh my Bf for 2 years. we decided a couple years ago that we wanted to get pregnant. No luck.! We've been trying constantly. I think im infertile due to previous episodes. I say episodes because they were crazy. But hes 22 and we have our own place and on our way to success. I started on my own very young. But anyways we really want a baby I dont think its nothing wrong with the age thing. But i do believe the reason we are not conceiving because we want to so bad our body isnt permitting it. Just have faith and stop trying it will come at the right time when you least expect it. You may have something you didnt have at first. But im just saying. Lolz.

ps: im praying for us girl
I think EVERYTHING you just said is completely judgemental of you...
How do you know she hasnt graduated and doing well for herself?  She might not be american?
I'm from UK, in 18, married and am currently living in my second house with him. (Our own) I am a qualified ballet teacher and a qualified hairdresser. I moved 140miles away from my family last year as my HUSBAND is in the army. We own a 3bedroom house in LONDON and are doing very well for ourselves. Infact, I wouldn't have to work if I didnt want to.
I misscarried 2 years ago (unplanned pregnancy) I had already moved out by that time and we decided we wanted a baby. We started trying a year after that and are still trying now. I only have 1 ovary working.
All of the women on my mums side of the family started puberty early and went through menopause at 30. It's in my genes, so im not going to be able to have children later on.
How DARE you judge everyone to be the same.
I was brought up to know that you cannot judge a person on anothers actions!
In other words, just because im 18, doesnt mean im the same as every other 18 year old.

I think you're a very rude and arrogant person and you should learn not to judge a book by it's cover.

Kimiko- Forget that you want a baby and relax, I totaly understand how you're feeling and I have no idea if that works as I have no children. But do not listen to some of these people! If they dont know you, who are they to tell you that you're too young? Each to their own! I'm all for having an opinion but some people are just nasty!

**Baby dust to you**

Sam
and my husband is 22 by the way.

Argh im so angry by you amandamae!!
Makes me giggle that you're what 27/28?

My gosh so much wisdom!!
You clearly don't know enough to be giving advice!

I'm 18 and obviously more mature than you are!
you are very ignorant. 1st! i am 18 and am out of high school. so who are you too say you can't be out of high school by 18? also i too am trying to get pregnant with my boyfriend who is 24 and we love each other very much. we have our **** together and have talked about how we would be able to support ourselves and a child if we are able to have one. we are both starting our careers, it is very hard for me to get pregnant do to the fact that i have PCOS. i honestly do appreciate your  close mind, nor how you downed this whole topic. who the HELL are you to say whether she is a real women or not. REAL WOMEN don't speak out of ignorance.

kimiko - i wish you the best of luck, follow your heart. If it is meant to be then it will happen:)
I agree you should get married before trying to conceive but I know that not everyone cares about marriage so its just my opinion. I got married young at 22 and my husband is 27. But I do know for a fact that an 18 yr old can be a good mother, Ive seen many. But once you have kids, all the money and everything goes to them so say goodbye to your dream wedding and dream house. I can only speak from my own experience and going to college, having that dream wedding and buying my dream house was a priority before trying to conceive. But I seriously have nothing against young women trying to get pregnant if they have a mature boyfriend. And a stable home! Saying that, when it comes to having children the wedding does not really matter, I wish infertility on no one! I have pcos and am having a hard time and I am happy I am trying to get pregnant now that I am still young!! But also very thankful I got everything accomplished before doing so.

And to be quite honest! If I knew I had pcos at 18 I probably would have start trying then! At 18 I already knew I was going to marry my husband!!! But I wouldnt have went to college or have my dream wedding or dream house... but a child is a blessing and they are worth the sacrifice!!!!
hay sorry if i didnt spell your name rite but i just wanted to say glad to know iv meet somebody in my shoes im also 18 and trying to get prgneant my boyfriend is also 27 and i can give a damn how someone fills about the age difference cause i know our love is real baby keep your head up im trying and trying and im gone keep on trying he has no kids hes a good man he wrks off shore he takes damn good care of me we dnt live together i have my own house he has his own house but he pays my bills and his bills it fills wonderful to know your loved exspeaciually if you been threw what ive been threw being raped at a young age doesnt fill to good to talk about but when you can open up to that person and put trust in him it makes you think he deserves a child and ehy not i be the one to give it to him i knw he will be the perfect farther so keep your head up hold own and it will wprk out get you some ovulation test lots of them use them girl and keep me up dated and i will keep you up dated on or success oh and one more thing prey trust he hear you and if he fill its not for you he will never give you more then you can bare.....
My boyfriend and I used condoms for conteceptive. When I was 8 days late for my period I didn't panic much but had that feeling that I had to buy a pregnancy test. I took it during the day and two dark pink lines showed up. It felt like dream. I am only 18 with strict parents so I had to visit my obgyn behind their backs. He told my boyfriend and I that we were the 3% that can get pregnant with condoms. I ended up having a miscarriage at 9 weeks. Even though it was an unplanned pregnancy,  it affected me so much. I wish everyone the best. Much love.
Hi, im going to keep my name anonymous. Here is my situation. Ive been with my boyfriend for one year and early in our relationship i got pregnant, was in my second month and miscarried, caused from stress and this weird pregnancy called MOLAR PREGNANCY. After that i immediately got on birth control called depo-provera and i was due for my shot again in May but missed it. My period just got back on track this july and ive been having lots of sex and still not pregnant, even though i tried during my ovulating time. Should i be worrieed. Im very young, im only 19 and my boyfriend is only 21 . Im in school for nursing but i have a long way to go and he has his associates about to transfer to a university. He is trying to hit the football league so i know honestly we are not ready but why do i want one so bad. Thats all we talk about and think about and try and plan for. I see everybody around me with a baby and i want one. I know babies are a handful and its not easy at all to care for a child but thats what i wAnt...any advice?
Maybe someday , someone will truly abandon you when you are old, and "worthless"
I'm 18 married live in my own apartment ! My husband is also 18... We have been trying to have a baby for about a year now but we aren't having any luck i have tried everything i know and i just cant get pregnant gone to doctors, i've taken all the different meds that help with getting pregnant done so many ovulation test its not even funny and i have sex on the days im ovulating all day long! What more can i do or am i just never going to be able too enjoy the wonders of being a mother ???
I'm 18 and have been with my partner for over 3 and half years, we are looking at houses and he has a well paying job, I finish grade 12 at school and am going on to uni, we aren't necessarily trying but are doing nothing to stop it, he really wants to start a family, so do I but I'm worried what people will say....I'm glad there is other girls like me !
At the end of the day shes the one thats going to feed and put clothes on her babies back not any of yous. The poor girl came on here looking for advise, not be abused so actually i think it's yous lot that need to grow up. My daughter fell pregnant when she was 17 and i couldn't fault her as a mother. Its drug addicts and alcoholics that should have a think before they lay down and have a baby!! It doesnt matter what age you are anything can happen, no one knows whats going to happen in the future so don't be so quick to judge!
hi, i just want to add that you are probably stressing over the fact that you wanna get pregnant and having sex to get pregnant instead of making love to your boyfriend. i am 19 and married and we are enjoying life. i do understand that want and need for a baby i have a really screwed up body and have suffered with losing a baby ... very hard to get over but trust me on the making love part and also find hobbies to do that are relaxing helps with when you two are in the "mood" :) HOPE THIS HELPS!
I know this post is old, but i am currently in your situation (I don't know whether it has changed or not) I'm 19 and my boyfriend is 23 and we are both trying for a baby.
I did unfortunately miscarry last month and it broke my heart, i thought i had done something wrong but my boyfriend was the one that picked me up and said to me that 'it will happen, just in time' and i believe what he said.
It may not happen as quickly as i want it to but HOPEFULLY it will happen, i find it so nice how eager my boyfriend, he always keeps rubbing my stomach and saying our munchkin will be in there one day.

And to all of you who think your know best, you don't. Plenty of women my age have done so much for themselves have good job, a home and who can support a baby if/when one comes into their life.
She only asked for advice not for abuse, i don't care what any of you say.

Me and my boyfriend are happy and in love, he is planning on proposing to me on our anniversary next year, and by then hopefully i'll have our bundle of joy.

Good luck to all you ladies, i hope you get your bundles soon.

Much love,
V xoxoxo
ToriiaLouise93,

I am sorry for your loss. A miscarriage is a very hard thing to go through. I found it helped me to light a candle and spend sometime reflecting. When I blew out the candle asking it to take away my pain. It helped a lot but I still feel sad. You should know it is not your fault, usually it is a genetic problem and the pregnancy is not viable. It will happen soon.

Although I don't like people lecturing, I kind of agree in some ways. It is not whether you have got things together but a maturity level which comes in time. Usually around 21 - 23. I would say wait until you are married not because I think your partner is more serious but from a selfish perspective. It is hard to have a fun and free wedding when you have the responsibility for a child or are pregnant. It is your special day to spend with your family and friends it is hard to have a good time with children. Friends waited 9 years until their children were older to get married and said they wished it happened before pregnancy.

Also, having a baby is very hard. You can't even have a shower or poo without them there. You will not be able to read a magazine or even eat dinner without constant interruption. If you don't know much about babies. I recommend you babysit for a few times. They r constant hard work.

I am an older mum. Due to infertility issues. I had my first baby at 35 and second at 38. It is too old, i will be around 55 omg when they leave home! i wish we had a baby when we had been together for a few years in my mid twenties. Having children in your twenties means they r leaving home in your forties. It also means you can be a young and active grandmother!

I wish you well and hope you consider your own circumstances too. What would happen if you had no partner, how can you take care of the baby, what support are you going to have, will your friends be there? This is true at any age. Be aware that friends especially won't be that iinterested in babies and sometimes disappear completely.

I hope you do receive your bundle of joy and I hope it is everything you wish for. It is the worst and the best thing I have ever done.

Jm
Well most of those comments are rude. Do what makes you happy no matter what ! And don't let no one tell you that you can't provide for your child. I just turned 18 this month, I also just had a miscarridge in sept. & one back in 2010. But I am in college have been since august. Did everything while pregnant like taking & passing my GED test & getting into college and going to college. I don't know why my but the fetus didn't make it & who knows.  & now being 18 & recently havin a misscarridge , I'm trying for a baby . Going to college , working a job & tryin to make a baby. Nothings impossible & I am muture enough & ready for the responsiblities. Me & my bf are excited to have a baby & we hope it happens soon If it hasn't already happened ! ( : point it just do you forget these people who judge you & say stupid things .! Your body , your life , YOUR CHOICE ( :
I'm 18 having a baby with a man thats 28 my mother married my dad when she was 18 and my dad was 48 and they are still happily married, so dont let people tell you age is important because its not if you love him and he loves you than live your life without listening to what people say! Good luck:)