Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
insuranceInsurance help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

insuranceInsurance help?

Hi all,
I'm new to this site. I was wondering if any of your Fertility meds are being covered by your insurance. I don't think any of my meds or treatments re covered and I was needing some advice on how to get our insurance to cover some of these expenses.
Most insurance companies won't cover fertility meds.  My primary only covers things that need to be done (u/s to make sure I don't have cancer, pap smears, etc) but it won't cover anything that has to do with getting pregnant.  So my doctor has run a lot of my tests and filed it as basic women tests (i.e. a saline u/s to make sure I don't have cancer, etc).  Luckily my husbands insurance covers up to $10,000 in infertility tests, meds, etc.  His is with BCBS of NC.  I don't know if all BCBS's has the same coverage.  Unfortunately, it's hard to find insurance companies that will cover anything.
Some fertility medicines, sonogram, bloodwork, etc.. are cover by insurance... it have to depend who is your insurance. IUI and IVF are not cover by insurance...

The insurance company already set up what to pay.. I don't think you can get your insurance pay more... contact them and ask them what will cover and what will not so you know how much you have to spend your money on...

All my injection I have to pay out of the pocket.  4 injections cost me about $300.. Yeah... TTC is very expensive but it's worth it.  

good luck
That *****!  DH's insurance covered most of my meds.  Injections would have been $450 but his insurance covered all but $86.  (Luckily I didn't have to take them so I didn't have to pay for them.)  And they will pay for our IUI's.  They pay for everything that is related to getting pg up to $10,000/lifetime.  We have to pay everything after the $10,000 out of pocket.

Grissco~Like I said, though, DH and I lucked out with his insurance.  It's rare to find insurance companies that will cover anything related to getting pg.  Look into BCBS where you live.  BCBS of NC covers all of that but I don't know how they are in other areas.
I forgot that s*cks gets censored.  I didn't want you to get offended by what I said so I thought I would clarify that.  :-)
Thanks for clarify that... I knew what you mean... :-)

Yeah i spent alot of money for this.  each month about close to 600. we burnt out everything...

When I took a break in April.. then I got pregnant... how weird was that...

Good luck to you
Congratulations!  I've heard so many stories of couples spending a ton of money to get pg and then when they decide to take a break it happens.  Maybe the meds helped.  I hope you have a happy and healthy nine months!
I have BCBS, I will have to call them and check to see what is covered. I just dont want to be flagged by them, lol. Thanks to all for all your help. This is a great site to get good ansers form.
We did our first IUI this month, im on thw 8th day after. I hope this one works, eventhough I know it probably wont the first time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed