Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
is it normal to have one child and still want more when you are reprodu...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

is it normal to have one child and still want more when you are reproductively challenged

I came to know today that my second IVF cycle has failed . i cried and felt heart broken . i am 32 years old and like any other couple want healthy happy babies.Today after getting the news that my beta HCG levels are low indicating that i have not concieved i cried but also i felt guilty and selfish crying as i have a perfectly healthy baby gal three years old. i realised i have a reason to be happy but why am i sad.i guess i am just human to want another baby.
I was 28 when hubby and i decided to go for IVF. We were very anxious but very hopeful like any other couple who are going for IVF for the very first time. I started with Suprefex on my 21st day post periods n later on after my periods came in two weeks time , i started with Gonal F injections along with Suprefex n my doctor confirmed that there are nine follicles and so they went ahead with extraction after the overdril injection. the lab next morning got back to us and told us only four eggs were retrieved n out of four two were implanted after three days. and after two weeks of wait ( which was killing), i did a HPT on the 13th day , which was positve and later the beta HCG test on day 14th day confirmed that i was pregnant with twins. Doctor to be on the safe side started me with Progestron Injections for the first trimester n later on after my 3rd month was about to complete , we found out that i had one more embryo.one of the eggs had divided into identical twins.the doctor had some how missed it. we were concerned about the well being of the twins as doctor had not seen it before and the doctor was apprehensive about the fact that whether the two identical twin's embryos had a seperating membrane or not. after one month of wait the doctor finally saw the membrane between the identical twins who were sharing the sac. on my next check up the doctor made the shocking revelation that the two identical twins had no heart beat. but the other embryo in the seperate sac was doing fine.i was in tears and couldn't believe that this could actually be happening. after endless hours of crying , it finally got to me that i still have a perfectly healthy baby growing inside me and i had to strong for that baby . the doctor gave us hope but also cautioned us that if the two perished embryos start coming out as body has a natural way of cleansing itself , then there is a chance that the healthy one will also come out . i was asked to do bed rest and to keep an eye if i have any contractions n bleeding , i need to immediately report to the doctor. every day for a month and a half , i was so scared to even go to the bathroom . i was scared that i would see blood on the toilet paper and i used to think to myself that i would die if i see that . we were very fortunate as we went through the tough phase and entered in to a new phase where i was totally focused on delivering the healthy baby on it's actual due date. the two perished embryos calcited and moved to one side and gave space to the healthy embryo to grow. the rest of the pregnancy was not so eventful. but i remember having tummy aches right before my check ups every time. I delivered a healthy baby on 24th of july after 42 weeks of gestation. she ever since has been a source of joy for us. i treasure every waking moment with her and i pray to God that all those couples who are going through tough time , please Lord bless them with healthy babies.  
Tags: one child