Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
is ivf the best option for me?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

is ivf the best option for me?

Hi I'm Amy, 25years old from Australia. My current partner and I have been attempting to conceive for almost 2years but I have tried with a previous partner from my 18th birthday and I have never successfully fallen pregnant. I am over weight but have not always been, I am a smoker, i do not drink or take any medications. How ever my partener is also over weight and a smoker. My partener has had a drug addiction to many optiates and ADHD medications, pharmaceuticals as well as street drugs including heroin & cocain in the past. He currently is being subscribed his correct medications which are prosac, lithium, xyprexa and is also taking 95milagrams of methadone a day. I have asked him to cut down on the methedone as I have researched online and found that many couples are struggling to fall pregnant when their parteners are on such a large dose as well as their sex drives are close to non existant which is the same as my partener. I recently have also been diagnosed with bad cells in my uterus which need to be removed by surgery & while the hospital checks that out they will also check my uterus and folopian tubes for any obstructions or problems which could be affecting my ability to obtain a baby. The hospital has asked that I do a series of blood tests to determain if I am obulating but each test came back negative. I have very painful and heavy periods which are a little irregular which I hope will go away after the operation. The hospital also asked that my partener under go a sperm count which he refuses because he believes he is very firtile and the problem lies within me. Methedone clincs in Australia also tend to want to up their patiants methidone every time they attend the clinic so I always try to prolong my parteners next visit. I have tried to talk to the clinic about our desision in attempting to start a family but all they say is good luck and we don't assist with helping family planning. They also believe that his methadone is not a problem with trying to start a family. My partner  also doesn't see how his sperm and firtility tests can assist with fixing me. I am looking into other possible ways in which we will be able to conceive quicker and faster results and inf sounds like a good option but I am unsure if it is the right option for me or if it could work with our situation?