Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
late ovulation & short luteal phase

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

late ovulation & short luteal phase

Hi i just started charting my BBT and noticed that ovulation usually occurs around the 18th day and I have a 28 day cycle. Is that normal to have such a short luteal phase? Some friends told me I should take Vitamin B6. Should I try that and if so, how much? thank you.
If you have a 28 day cycle and are ovulating on day 18 then your luteal phase is 12 days and that is not considered a short luteal phase.  I believe anything under 10 days is considered too short.  I take B6 to increase mine even though my luteal phase was normally 12, but I wanted to be sure and give that little eggy plenty of time to implant.  I take anywhere from 100mg to 200mg every day of my cycle and it increased it by 3 days.

Good luck!
thank you for your insight. I started taking B6 also to help the little eggy. thanks again and good luck to you too!
IM JUST CURIOUS WHAT IS VITMIN B6 USED FOR???
I was told to use it to lengthen my luteal phase, which will give me more time for implantation.
Does it make your cycle longer....or do you ovulate earlier? Is there enough B6 in prenatal vitamins?
I am using B6 right now to lengthen Luteal phase and hopefully take care of spotting early before AF.  I also take baby aspirin to thin blood which helps w/ implantation and uterine lining.  

I don't think it shortens or lengthens your cycle per se - maybe a little longer on the luteal phase is all.  My luteal was 15 days - but I had spotting from 10dpo.  No, there is generally not enough b6 mg in your prenate vitamins.  
I also read a study about women who drink whole milk and eat ice cream (ie, high fat dairy products) tend to ovulate more (are more fertile) than women who drink soy milk or low fat dairy products.  It's very intersting and I figured it's worth a try during my pre-ov phase!  If you google it you should find some intersting articles.  Here's one:   http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=204&objectid=10426238