Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
metformin and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

metformin and pregnancy

I was taking metformin (2000 mg per day) when I got pregnant.  I continued taking metformin.  I am now 9 weeks and was wondering how long people usually take metformin during pregnancy.  I am also concerned that it could cause birth defects.  Does anyone have any information on metformin use during pregnancy??
I haven't heard anything info besides what my Dr. told me he told me that it would not harm my baby when I was pregnant.
do not stop taking it until the md says to. a close friend of mine stopped when she got a bfp and the doc told her she could have caused herself a miscarriage. i think she continued it until 10 or 12 weeks.
My doc recommended taking it through the 1st trimester then stop. However, he was overdosing me at 4000mg per day and I didn't discover it until my MC.  So this time, different doc, says we'll take it until we find out if I get pregnant , through next IVF cycle  , then if it is a positive pregnancy test he wants me to stop taking it then.
Why does he want you to stop taking it when you get a bfp???  how many weeks were you when you miscarried...  i am sorry to hear that!
My doc only has me on 500mg daily???? So little dose in comparison.  Should I ? it to the doc?
I started on 500 mg a day and every week I added 500 more mg until I was taking 2000 mg.... I think that is a pretty high dose but I'm not sure.  I hope I am not taking too much?  500 mg does sound low but I'm sure your doc has a reason for that!!  Have you had side effects??
Well....I had to start taken it at night, because when nature called, I had to RUN!. It wasn't the best situation at work, so taking it at night seems to not have an effect on my tummy. I'm also on provera, waiting for my period, to take clomid. I having acne breakouts and not sure if its from the metformin or provera.
I took 1500mg/day until 12 weeks.  So far so good at 28 weeks.  My RE said metformin is safe in pregnancy - it is a category B.
My dr took me off it when I got pregnant.