Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
ovidrel and follicle question?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

ovidrel and follicle question?

hi all,
this is my first month on follistim injections...which are easy to give with the pen and painless...but i will soon be giving myself the ovidrel...this one isnt in a pen and looks like a thicker and longer needle. i was just wondering if it hurts alot more then the pen injections...and also i have 2 viles...so do most people do the ovidrel for a couple days...before the IUI?
also...when i went in for b/w and u/s on monday i think i had 9 follicles total but one one was at a good length...is that bad? my RE said most likely we are doing the IUI on fri morning...
Hi,  I'm doing the same "program" Follistim+Ovidrel.
The Ovidrel that I get comes in a prefilled syringe.  As I understand your has to be mixed before injecting.  Did they tell you whether to inject it in your thigh as well?  Thats where I do mine.  
Ovidrel is injected only once as far as I know.  Most of the time 2 viles contain a liquid and a pouder that had to be mixed up.  Your RE will tell you when your follicles are mature enough (close to 20mm) that night you will do the shot.

According to my RE even if there is one good follicle the chances are still very good.  That's exactly what I had this month.  I think they would actually prefer it this way rather than having to many follicles.  What dose of Follistim are you doing?  It would just be interesting to compare.  I haven't seen too many people using this drug on the Forum.

I've been doing this for 2 months already so let me know if you have any questions.
Here is a link on how to give yourself the ovidrel shot (hcg trigger).  My RE always had me to subcutaneous which is in the layer of fat between your skin and muscle but some say there RE tells them to do it intramuscular.  The link has instructions for both ways.

http://www.ivf1.com/hcg-trigger/

The first page tells you how to mix the meds and at the bottom there are two links. One for subcutaneous and one for intramuscular.  

I've had three IUIs. We always did the hcg shot, 36 hours before the IUI was scheduled.  So cd12 at 11p.m. we would do the hcg shot and then the IUI would be cd14 at 11 a.m. But different drs schedule them differently.  The first IUI I had two mature follicles and got bfp but it ended up being ectopic.  The third IUI I got bfp again, and I only had one mature follicle.  I'm now 25wks pg.  

I never took the folltism shots, so I can't compare the hcg to that, but it isn't bad.  For me it was always sore at the location of the shot a day or so afterward, but at the time of the shot it wasn't bad.  

Good luck!!
hey i did ovedril too this cycly it wasent bad at all i had no pain..i used it along with gonal-f injections and i got preggo first try..so good luck to you..and keep us posted!!
check out this web site too it actually plays videos step by step on how to use the injections it was very helpfull to me
www.Freedommedteach.com
hi everyone thanks so much for your responses....lexima...i am on 75 a day...how about you?

i guess i didnt realize one vile is probably the powder..not a 2nd dose...lol..
this is all so frusturating....as you know waiting to get pregnant...i am so emotional....

i hope and pray for all of you...please keep me posted!!!!

can you tell me what bfp means???

tanker chic...best of luck!!!
bfp is what you'll get... Big Fat Positive!!

Best of luck..
Last month I started with 75 as well, but 6 days into the process they saw that I produced too many follicles and they were maturing too fast.  So they reduced me to 37.5.  This month I was on 37.5 as well but it only produced one good size follicle.  
I'm wondering if next month they place me somewhere in the middle like 50.  For now i'm in the 2ww.

Good Luck
hi,
well i went to my RE this morning for b/w and u/s. apparently when i was in on monday i had 9 follicles total on both sides...one was long...so i continued to take injections (hoping others would grow)...this morning i went in and he said i have only one follicle thats good on the side that isnt a blocked tube. he didnt seem too thrilled..but we are doing the IUI on friday morning. so tonight i will do the ovidrel shot in my belly...i am kinda nervous...

so my question is..is there a high chance i could get pregnant with only one follicle...or are my chances low?
I posted on your other thread already. But I will repeat it because I feel so strongly about it.  Your chances are wonderful.  People get pg everyday with one follicle.  I am 25wk pg from IUI with only one follicle and one tube.  Don't let this be a dark cloud kind of an issue.  A well timed IUI with one good egg is all you need.  

Some people do get IUI with many follicles.. sometimes more than 5... my dr would cancel the iui if you had more than two because he felt it was reckless.  The risk of complications and birth defects is much higher for multiple births.  

You should be very hopeful and excited!!  take care.. and keep us posted.. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Oh one more thing about the shot. In the belly is how I did it also.  The link I gave you above gives good instructions for doing it in the belly.  Follow the link for subcutaneous.  I always had dh do it and I looked away.  It isn't bad tho.  It may be sore afterwards, but not back..

congrats again.  
No it doesn't hurt at all. I know the needle is bigger. I have taken it 4 times
i just wanted to thank everyone for their info on ovidrel...i ended up using a pre filled one tonight...it wasnt bad at all...thanks for the support...i am gonna go look to see what the side effects are...hopefully i dont have too many!
Congrats on going through with the first shot. I haven't experienced any side effects after ovidrel.  Just thought I'd let you know.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers