Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
please help- scared- melatonin while ttc with clomid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

please help, the research i'm doing is inconclusive and i'm having a heart attack..
I'm TTC, am on my third round of clomid 50mg, and am going to be doing an HCG trigger/IUI in the next few days. I'm CD 11 today.
i'm an insomniac, and on the advice of someone close to me well versed with natural remedies, started taking 3mg's of melatonin at night as a sleep aid as I stopped taking my prescription sleep aids to be safe because of TTC. I have taken 3 mg's between 8-12 nights out of the last 30 nights.
i didnt do any research of my own untill today because it didnt even occur to me that it could possibly impare fertility, i was only concerned with doing research on weather it was safe during the tww/first trimester.
I'm so scared I'v ruined this cycle, please any experience or comments would be so appreciated...
I'm so sorry about all this extra stress you're going through. I'm honestly not sure if melatonin would affect your clomid cycle or not, but if I were you, I would probably stop using it for now, and then call your doctor and ask him/her on Monday.

Did you take it in your previous clomid cycles as well? And how did things look when you had your sonograms then?
Thanks so much for the response heather, I hadn't  taken the melatonin before so I don't have any info at all... I threw out the last of it I had, and am going in for an u/s tomorow @ 9 am. I geuss I'll find out sooner than later at least.... Like this process isn't hard enough... I can't believe I didn't do my own research....!

Is there anyone else out there with any experience with melatonin? Should I be worried???
I truely don't think melatonin will have any ill effects on TTC or first trimester babies.
My doctor recommended melatonin to me, after being told that I was trying to conceive, so I don't think that there is any problem. But to ease your mind, ask your RE - that's what they are there for ;)

Good luck!
Melatonin is something your body naturally produces.  I think you are okay.
How did your ultrasound go?
I am on Clomid 100mg and take Melatonin, it is safe...
Hi Heather, everyone,

thanks for checking :) no cysts, (suprising), nothing on the left, 3 'too small to measure' and 1 X 18mm follie on the right. I was really hoping to see more.... but am suprised that the one is that large already (CD12) as I normally dont O untill CD 17 or 18....

To be honest I actually think the melatonin counteracted the clomid. This is the first cycle I'd taken it, and the last two months on clomid i responded much better. Anyone taking or thinking about taking melatonin while TTC, the research I've done shows that it can prevent ovulation, because it's a horomone that suppresses follicle growth. I'm convinced there would have been a lot more follicles had I not taken them, and also think that if I wasnt taking the clomid, there wouldn't have been even one.

Google search melatonin and fertility anyone already taking or thinking of taking them!

one way or the other, we're triggering tonight with the HCG, IUI set for Tuesday morning... hopefully my one is enough! Wish us luck!