Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
progesterone and FSH ranges

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

progesterone and FSH ranges

hi everyone
im totally new to this type of discussion even though im trying to conceive for 4 years. i am being seen by a fertility clinic next month and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what are good ranges for progesterone and FSH. i would like to know what im dealing with before i go so i can be ready for all they will tell me. had bad experience with my gyney in that she kept fobbing me off and even though she had me on 100mg of chlomid she never requested any blood tests in that time so the bloods im doing at the moment are the first im having done. just got progesterone level of 10 and i am 36 years old

car74
I am not sure what progesteron level should be. However the blood test done on cycle day 2 or 3 (day 2 or 3 of your period) would test estrogen and FSH. An FSH of 7 or lower is ideal. I had 12.9 and got pregnant from an IVF cycle. Some ladies with higher FSH may also get pregnant. High FSH may show low ovarian reserve (not enough eggs in teh ovaries) not the egg quality. So while you may not produce a huge number of eggs (low ovarian reserve) with an IVF cycle, the quality of the egg may still be good. To know more about qualtiy you can do AMH blood test. Anything above .7 is good. I think. Mine was .7. The doctor thought we had a good chance of getting pregnant through IVF.
Good luck dear.
This website should have all the charts you need.  

http://www.advancedfertility.com/day3fsh.htm

Day 3 FSH level FSH interpretation for DPC Immulite assay

Less than 9 Normal FSH level. Expect a good response to ovarian stimulation.
9 - 11 Fair.  Response is between normal and somewhat reduced (response varies widely). Overall, a slightly reduced live birth rate.

11- 15 Reduced ovarian reserve. Expect a reduced response to stimulation and some reduction in embryo quality with IVF. Reduced live birth rates on the average.

15 - 20 Expect a more marked reduction in response to stimulation and usually a further reduction in embryo quality. Low live birth rates. Antral follicle count is an important variable.

Over 20 This is pretty much a "no go" level in our center. Very poor (or no) response to stimulation. "No go" levels should be individualized for the particular lab assay and IVF center.