Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
progesterone and estrogen after embryo transfer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

My Question is for anyone who has done IVF  I went to the doctor my embryo transfer was Sat. I had to go in today to have my progesterone and estrogen levels checked and they told me they were both a little low,but said that had nothing to do wether I was pregnant or not and they are increasing my dose.has this ever happened to anyone and what are these for? I asked the nurse and she said dont worry you are in good hands .I still dont know. Please Help!!!
Hi, I just finished my first IVF.  And, although I did not have any blood work done between the transfer and my first beta, it is my understanding that they do check both of these levels for the following purposes:

Estrogen:  The estrogen level needs to be in a healthy balance to the progesterone level to support pregnancy.  If we were to achieve pregnancy naturally, our bodies would do automatically.  However, since the dr. are artifically stimulating us through IVF, they have to check these levels to make sure that one does not get higher than the other, etc.

Progesterone:  They measure the progesterone because the baby needs the progesterone to support the pregnancy until the placenta (which begins to form around 8 weeks) takes over.  If you were to get pregnant naturally, the follicle (which would remain in the ovary after it releases the egg) become the corpus luteum and the corpus luteum produces the progesterone until the placenta takes over.  Do to the fact that they take our follicles and eggs during retrieval and we don't produce the progesterone naturally.  Therefore, we have to take the injections to artifically produce the progesterone until the placenta takes over.

Again, these two hormones must be in a "perfect" balance, so we are not harmed in the process.   They may just do the measuring of these hormones for your safety.  During stimulation, did your level rise properly?
In any event, I have heard of dr.'s adjusting these medications during an IVF cycle and especially after transfer, as a precaution.    

I hope this information helps.
I have not had IVF, but I know that your progestorone and estrogen dont have to be high to sustain an early pregnany, tehy just need to rise once you get pregnant. I think your nurse is right, it doesnt tell you anything about being pregnant... you are a little early for implantation anyway.  I think it just means if you get preggo you would need a little extra supplementation
Thankyou both for the information. Everything your saying makes total since now.I feel better about that.I am so stressed and trying not to be its funny I find out next week wether I am or not and either my dream will come true or I will be devastated. All I know is if it is Gods will it will happen.    good luck to both of you.                
i HAD MY TRANSFER DONE THE SAME DAY AND THIS IS MY 2ND CYCLE.  HOPEFULLY IT WORKS.  MY progestorone LEVEL IS OVER 20 THEY SAID THAT WAS GOOD BUT ANYONE I NEED SOME ANSWERS
I just got a call from my nurse she says my result on a bloodwork of day 7 post embryo transfer were 400 for estradiol and 35.5 for progesterone. Are these good indication of possible pregnancy? I have my pregnancy test on 9/14.
recca,
any luck with the pregnancy test?  I had my 2 best embryos tranferred on 10/1/08.  I am in the process waiting for the pregancy test on 10/12/08.  I hope to hear all good news.  Best of luck to you!
Hi, My first IVF, my embryo transfer was 7 days ago and I just took my first blood test today to check my levels, My Estrogen was 612 and my Progesterone is 56. They said both good and above the level they look for. They said this does not tell to much but that I am on the right track......can anyone give me more......Will take my pregnancy test on 9/23/09........long week ahead!!
Thanks!
READING ALL THESE POSTING MAKES ME FEEL A LITTLE BETTER. MAKES ME FEEL I AM NOT ALONE AS I GO THROUGH MY 3RD IVF CYCLE. I HAD EMBRYO TRANSFER ON THE 24TH OF APRIL, AND TODAY IS MY DAY 10. I HAVE BEEN HAVING CRAMPS ON AND OFF SINCE DAY 1. IT WORRIED ME BUT I HAVE BEEN READING HERE AND IT HELPS ALOT. I HAD 4 EMBRYOS TRANFERRED DAY 5 BLASTOCYTE WITH 100+ CELLS. I AM VERY HAPPY ABOUT THAT BECAUSE MY PREVIOUS 2 IVF ATTEMPTS- MY DOCTOR EVEN TOLD ME THAT I HAVE POOR OVARIAN RESERVES AND THAT I WOULD NEED AN EGG DONOR FOR MY 3RD IVF CYCLE. MY HUSBAND AND I DECIDED TO GO TO ANOTHER DOCTOR AND SURE ENOUGH, I EVEN MADE 6 EGGS (YAY) AND 4 FERTILIZED. MY FIRST TRY I ONLY MADE 2 EGGS AND 1 FERTILIZED. AND THE 2ND IVF, ONLY 2 EGGS AND THEY WERE EMPTY (????) ON DAY OF RETRIEVAL. ANYWAY, BAD FACILITY, BAD DOCTOR.... THIS TIME, I WENT TO LOMA LINDA MEDICAL CENTER IN LOMA LINDA, THEY ARE GREAT, AND EXPLAINS EVERYTHING TO ME. THURSDAY IS MY PREGNANCY TEST.... WISH US LUCK. AND GOODLUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE....
Hi, My second IVF, my embryo transfer was 11 days ago and I just took my first blood test on 6th April to check my levels, My Estrogen was 299 and my Progesterone is 20.They said this does not tell to much......can anyone give me more......Will take my pregnancy test on 4/12/11........long time ahead!!
Thanks!
Hello, I'm new here, I hope someone can please help me?? I'm going crazy w my recent hormone results:
Estradiol is 958 pg/ml and progesterone is 105 ng/ml .. 10 days post day 5 blastocyst tf. All AA grade, had 3 put in, my doctor is saying these levels are low?? From what I've been reading, they seem very good... I'm so confused??