Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
progesterone oil shots in thigh?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

progesterone oil shots in thigh?

I was wondering if anyone has heard of putting the progesterone shots in the thigh instead of back behind above the butt? I am using a gestational carrier and she is wanting to do them in her thigh, but I don't like the sound of that. I spoke with two different nurses and the lady at the pharmacy that we ordered the medication at said absolutely not as well. They all said something about it not absorbing as well in that area. Anyone know anything about this? Carisa
I've never done PIO shots...but from what I've heard, any intramuscular injections should be OK injected into the buttocks, upper arm or thigh. Although, it seems like the butt is more common. But you could always ask your doctor...just in case. Good luck!
they say butt because you tend to have more muscle - but if she is doing it herself theigh might be easier
the nurse at your RE's office should be able to give her proper instructions on the theigh

she may think it will be easier because subcues are easy in the theigh - but it really can hurt in the theigh digging into that muscle - any chance you can convince your RE into letting her do the capsules or suppositories vaginally???  I had a singleton and twins with capsules vaginally
I always thought the shots were much more effective. I will have to ask about the suppositories for her. My RE said that the thigh area doesn't absorb the solution as much as the butt area. The vaginal capsules just seem so much easier.