Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
progesterone question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

progesterone question

HI...posted this originally in the wrong forum, so I cut and pasted it to here.  Sorry.

HI:  I will try to keep this short.  I have had 3 mc in the past year.  I saw an RE who ran all the tests and while everything was normal, did not check my progesterone.  I asked if he would, but was told it does not help in determining egg quality.  He tried to convince I me would not conceive without IVF. BUT, my numbers were good and I thought I would continue to try.   I have had 2 mc in the past 6 months since seeing him and finally decided to ask my OB/GYN to have my progesterone checked with this last one and low and behold, it was low.  I mc anyway, despite the progesterone I was prescribed.  My question (because I need to find a new RE) is if my progesterone is low with this one, is it most likely low all of the time?  Should I use progesterone cream from ovulation on?  I am just very confused and very upset knowing that possibly, the wonderful RE could have done a simple test to help me have a baby naturally.  He pushed and pushed IVF on me like a used car salesman and failed to do a simple test.  I knew progesterone was important, but did not realize how important it was until this last miscarriage.  Anyway, sorry to run on.  Thanks for any answers.  The information all of you post on here is tremendous to us who simply read without posting.

I should also add I have had two successful pregnancies and one other mc (blighted ovum) between the two children.
The thing about low progesterone in pregnancy is that it's impossible to know whether the low level is causing the miscarriage or if the levels are low because it is a non-viable pregnancy to begin with. But a progesterone supplement wouldn't hurt, and could possibly help, so I would definitely ask for one next time you get pregnant...and start it as soon as you get a positive pregnancy test. As for whether or not to use it after ovulation every cycle, I think that depends on your levels; and YES, I agree with you, I definitely think your RE should have tested your progesterone. I would even think it could be useful in determining egg quality, since a low number usually indicates a weak ovulation...but of course, I'm not an expert.

As for IVF, I was also seeing a pushy RE a few years back, who wanted me to jump into IVF after only two unmedicated IUIs (I had one natural pregnancy/miscarriage before I started seeing her). So we stopped going there and decided to try on our own for a while, and a few months later, we got pregnant naturally again. This time my progesterone level was low at 9, so I started a supplement, but still miscarried. After this, we couldn't seem to get pregnant again, so I got a referral to another RE by my obgyn...and I LOVED this new doctor! He was just the best! But, after a few months of trying IUIs with and without medication, we still hadn't conceived....so in the end we ended up doing IVF after all, and it worked! We now have a beautiful one-year old baby girl!

So I'm not sure...maybe the fact that IVF is so controlled (when it comes to hormone levels, timing, etc.) helped me get and stay pregnant...or maybe it was just a coincidence that I carried to term after the IVF as opposed to my natural cycles. But anyway, just though I'd share... Since you've been pregnant twice over the past 6 months, though, I wouldn't think IVF is something you have to jump into right away. And I agree, get a second opinion from another RE! Maybe you'll find one you love, like I did!

Oh, and I almost forgot to answer your question about whether or not one low progesterone result means it's low in all cycles; and no, it doesn't. BUT, in my experience, REs usually check your progesterone pretty regularly after ovulation.

Best of luck with everything!