Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
reasons why IUI fail

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

reasons why IUI fail

Hi all:
I had 3 cycles of Clomid and failed and then we did 3 rounds of IUI but no luck.  I was taking Puregon 75iu on my 1st cycle of IUI and end up with 6 mature eggs so RE suggested I should go through egg aspiration.  RE took out 2 eggs and left 4 but still no luck.  tried the second time and this time induce ovulation early because I was growing the same number of eggs.  Lining is good as far as I know as well all bloodtest came out ok but still failed.  Husband and I decided to take a break for a month and went back on another (3rd) cycle of IUI.  This time I was advised to start 50iu of Puregon and was lowered to 25iu since I responded very well with Puregon. I end up growing only 1 mature egg.  Had 3rd IUI and still failed.  Does anybody know what could be the reasons why it's not working?  BTW, I am diagnosed with PCOS.  Also, I have 1 daughter conceived naturally and was fast (honeymoon baby).  So, I really don't understand why I'am having trouble conceiving.  Should I go through IVF?  
I have had 4 iui none worked I also have pcos. they keep telling me there is no reason for it to not work. they now suggest we do ivf for us the cost is to high but if we could afford it we would
Hi-

I had 4 failed IUI's.  (1 natural, 1 clomid and 2 femara cycles).  I have read that if you have 3 that fail you probalby will not be successful with IUI.  We start IVF tomorrow.  After my 3rd failed IUI, my RE did an adeza biopsy to check my uterus for the beta three integrin.  This is bascially a protein that makes the egg "stick" to the uterine wall.  Mine came back normal but many times with failed IUI"s this could be part of the reason...the egg fertilizes but does not stick.  At our IVF consult, my RE said he thinks my eggs are just hard on the outside and hard for the sperm to penetrate.  IVF (ICSI) would fix that.  I am hoping that is what the issue is since we have been thru so many tests nad it is still unexplained infertility.  

I am hoping this helps...wishing you the best of luck!
Hi Thanks for the response ladies...Allie, my RE also mentioned that my egg might be  too hard or the wall is thick for the sperm to penetrate that's why he advised for us to go through IVF (ICSI).  Thanks for your info.  I will schedule an appt. to meet with my RE next week and discuss IVF.  We're leaning towards the IVF but I'm so afraid that what if it doesn't work :( .  What are the chances of having succesful IVF?

Good luck on your IVF tom.
Hi there-

From all of my research and in speaking with my RE, the success rates of IVF are MUCH higher than IUI.  At my clinic in my age group with unexplained fertility, the success rate is 74%.  That is very high, but many other clinics are high too.  at my clinic IUI was only about 15% per cycle.  

My RE said IF the problem is the egg having a hard shell then IVF with ICSI is a quick fix.  He also said there is a very small chance that my eggs are not mature when I ovulate.  If that would be the case then there would be nothing more we could do an adoption would be our option.  But he says that issue is rare and the egg issue is much more common.  

You will feel much better once you speak to your RE.  I had many reservations but after meeting with him we felt 100% better.

Good luck to you!  I start my injections tomorrow...yikes!  

Take care and keep me posted.