Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
retroverted uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

retroverted uterus

my uterus is retroverted, im 9 months married and having difficulty conceiving..i want to get pregnant now..im 25 years of age...is there something wrong with my retroverted uterus? can i still conceive if it is the case??? tnx
My uterus is WAY WAY way back at every time of the month...and the opening is facing my back!  We're both one of the lucky 20% of women that have a retroverted uterus. I have two children and had no problems conceiving either of them. So try not to worry too much about it. I spoke with my Dr. about this a few weeks ago, and she said generally it shouldn't have a grave affect on your ability to conceive.  
I have heard that rear entry is the best position for ttc, and also that laying on your stomach after BD'ing is better because apparently if you elevate your hips too high after sex with a retroverted uterus the sperm can sit in a pocket behind the opening of your cervix and not be able to get in...having said that, I didn't know ANY of this when I was ttc my two and like I said my first child was conceived in 2 mths, my second in 6.  Good luck to you! : )  
Can a tipped uterus prevent pregnancy?
Typically a tipped uterus is only thought to be the cause of infertility after all other possible reasons for fertility problems have been ruled out. Your doctor might recommend a uterine suspension or UPLIFT procedure if there is no other explanation for your fertility problems. However, this is not common.

How can a tipped uterus affect my pregnancy?
Usually between the 10th -12th week of pregnancy, your uterus will no longer be tipped or "backwards." This should cause no difficulty for the pregnancy or for labor and birth. If the uterus does not move into a "middle" position, miscarriage can occur, but this is very rare

Information found at this link:  http://www.*****************.org/womenshealth/tippeduterus.html

If you haven't already discussed this with your GYN you should. Usually you are not treated for infertility until after a year of ttc naturally if you are under 35 years of age.

Good luck!
I Have a tilted uterus and so does my mother, My mother didnt have any trouble convieving me but then again she was in her late 30's. I was told that one of the best ways to get pregnant if you have a tilted uterus is to do it (sorry for the street name) "Doggy style". So I completely agree with echoecho9er! Though if you do some google searching I'm sure you can come up with some fun and interesting ways of coping! Then again it is said that for a healthy couple with no fertility issues it can take up to a year and a half to conceive, So just have fun with it and try not to stress!