Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
statistics

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

statistics

I'm still freaking out from delivering almost a 20 week old boy last week who died from the cord being wrapped tightly around his neck.  Does ANYONE know, or have heard stories, about this happening to people...and does ANYONE know successful stories about people having babies after this happened.  Just wondering what my chances are of this happening again.  I have one 3 year old DD and two early m/c and now this.
Need help.
Shayla
Hi Shayla,
I read your story and I'm so sorry. I really don't much on the subject, but I do know that a friend of mine, during the delivery of her baby ( full term ), the doc noticed something was wrong, and did an emergency cesarian. They found the baby had it's cord wrapped 5 times around her neck, something they had never seen before. She is preg again and they are delivering baby 6wks early this time. I guess things are monitored very carefully after this happens once.
Such an unfortunate incident.
I wish you all the best.
Cord accidents are rare.  I know you are freaking out, that's more than understandable.  You will probably not be the same for a long time to come but it is not likely to happen again.  Each pregnancy is different and there is nothing that would make a cord accident happen again.  It's not like a chromosome thing or immune system issue.  It's just crappy, bad luck.  I don't know what your chances are but I don't think they change even if it has happened once.  
Shayla...I wish I had some advice...I haven't heard of that before.  I  have had a few friends that while delivering the cord got wrapped around the babies neck...but that's about all.  I'm assuming that it's rare..it just sounds like a freak accident..I am sooo sorry for your loss..hopefully you will be ready to try again soon...good luck to you..
It was just awful bad luck.   It won't happen again!  Again I'm so sorry.
my girlfriend had the same thing happen to her little boy in the 8th month and she had 2 healthy babies after.
I'm really sorry for your loss:(
Shayla, last night I did some checking on line and everything I can find regarding umbilical cord accidents say it's rare.  And all of the stories I read said the women goes on to have healthy full-term pregancies.  I'm sorry I can't be of more help.  I'm sorry for your loss and you are in my prayers.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers