Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
using OPK as early result pregnancy test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Has anyone ever heard that it's possible to use an ovulation predictor test to detect early pregnancy?  I had heard that LH can stay elevated during early pregnancy, therefore if someone used an OPK and it was positive it would, of course, indicate ovualtion, but could also indicate early pregnancy.  Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this.  Of course, i know HPT's are the most reliable way to detect pregnancy.  Thanks.
its been said if you want to use it just for fun go for it. but to actually detect a pg you cant rely on opk. peeonastick has a little bit about that
Its not a reliable indication of pregnancy. Some pregnant women will not show a positive OPK at all, while other pregnant women will not show a positive OPK until well after a positive pregnancy test. There is a great article with pics on peeonastick.com, as mentioned by the previous poster.
Srfoshee is right peeonastick.com tells it best. Hcg and Lh are almost identical in make up. An opk will detect Hcg and Lh combined. An hpt will only detect Hcg. An opk has to be equally dark for it to be considered pos and even then it is not reliable since we have randon Lh surges thru the month.
Look at the comparisons on peeonastick.com, they do a good job of showing how this would look.
yes it work for me
I took one this morning and I am 6dpo or 7dpo. It was very positive. And I know I already ovulated and the opk's went to negative after ovulation. Just for fun took one this morning and It was every bit as dark as the control line. What do you think, seems awfully early. Is it even possible. I know I should take a HPT and I will, but not this early. Just Wondering your opinions?
OPK are not good indicators because it is common to have a second line appear (remember with OPK, it is not a positive unless the second line is AS DARK AS or DARKER THAN) the first line. With a pregnancy test, any line showing up within the requisite timeframe is a valid positive ... it is much harder to tell with OPK and much less reliable. I am guilty of using OPK early on also, but I was never able to tell because the line would be so light, which is not a positive. If you are a POAS addict like me, it can be fun to use the OPK!
well...anything is possible.  If you're 6 or 7 DPO, then it's very possible you've already implanted.  Also, strange that OPK was very positive after you know you already ovulated.  Personally, i'm a bit confused by OPK.  I took one and the test line looked just as dark as control line, but only part of the line was just as dark....i took another one and the whole line was just as dark.  Also, i've heard thatv LH surges happen sporadically through the cycle.  Anyway, definitely wait to take a hpt and good luck to you.  I hope you get that BFP!
Well i would really like to know how this all works cause ive been getting pos opk for two and a half weeks now and i thought i was prego before i started also miessed the period before i started taking them and i have had thre neg home preg test and one at the doc that was neg.
I got a positive OPK in the beginning of August (which is when I was expected to ovulate). Three weeks later (I have longer cycles) I received another positive OPK. I was dissapointed b/c I thought that meant I was NOT pregnant. So, we tried again since I believed I was ovulating. Two weeks later, I took a HPT and it was POSITIVE :) YAY! I thought I must have conceived the 2nd positive OPK; however, I did in fact conceive the first time and simply received another positive OPK b/c of the increase in LH surge hormone. I had a few OPK's left over (after I already found out I was pregnant) so I took two more and they still read positive. It's kinda cool :) Of course, I wouldn't necessarily trust an OPK as a HPT.