Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
wHAT IS A CHEMICAL MISCARRIAGE?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

wHAT IS A CHEMICAL MISCARRIAGE?

I had my first IVF in Dec and around the 5th of Jan I started bleeding and my doctor said I was having a "chemical miscarriage"  Now I was pregnant, so why don't they call it a micarriage, why put the chemical part in it?
I've not heard it referred to as a "chemical miscarriage" before...they usually call it a "chemical pregnancy", which is when the egg is fertilized and starts implanting (and producing HCG), but fails to implant properly and you get your "period" a few days later. Not sure how that works with IVF, though, since the egg is obviously already fertilized before transfer.

I'm so sorry for your loss :-(
It is a miscarriage, it is just very early on.  They say "chemical pregnancy", because there was enough hcg to cause the pregnancy test to be positive but then the pregnancy stops developing soon after.  It is such an early miscarriage that most people (those not testing early) might not even know they had been pregnant.  It is still a very real loss, and it is a miscarriage.  Just early! I had the same thing after my first IVF, it is a horrible feeling! I am sorry for you loss, and good luck to you with your next steps!!
I had chemical pregnancy with my first FET. My hcg dropped every 2 days instead of being double. the embryo starts to implant but somehow it does not stick well and ends up in a miscarriage. I had 3 hcg test and when they continued to drop, I was told to stop all meds and to expect a period within a wk. I had my period 3 days later.
That actually was exactly what happened to me.  Are you trying again?  I just had another retrieval yesterday and they got 3 eggs, and my transter is on the 8th or 9th.  I've read a little more on chemical m/c and they said it usually happens on the first pregnancy and many women continue to have healthy pregnancies later.  The article said 50 to 60% of first pregnancies end up in a chemical m/c, but the women don't know cuz of the early stage.  Anyway, it's all in God's hands.  Lots of baby dust you way!
After that chemical preg, I took a break. my dr referred me to an accupuncturist and I got treatments there as well as took herbs and had organic diet. After 2 months of that had another FET and both embryoes took very well. I am at 33wk4d today with twin girls.
Good luck with your transfer.