Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
weight gain and treatments

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

weight gain and treatments

Hi I was wondering if anyone gained weight from their treatments (clomid, injections, etc). I hear that's a side effect and I'm not looking foward to it on top of all the junk we have to go through. What does someone expect? 5, 10, 20+ lbs?
Tags: Weight, clomid, IVF
Hello!

You know, it's funny you ask that because I was just sitting here complaining to myself because my flipping pants are too tight around my fat, bloated midsection. Ugh.

I didn't gain any weight on clomid.  I am, however, becoming rather distressed by my weight gain on my first month of Follistim.  I didn't gain until the day of IUI (5 days ago), but since then I've gained about 4 lbs, and I'm very uncomfortable with bloating.  I suspect the 4 lbs is only water and I would LOVE to take a water pill and pee this stuff out so I can button my pants, but I don't know if that is adviseable.  I suppose I could call my doctor and complain, but apparently the bloating is normal and I'll feel like a big whiner if I call too much.

All I can say is I'm waddling around work right now looking like I'm about 5 months pregnant because all the weight is right in my abdomen!

Sheri
I have that all the time but I think part of it is me in denail w/ having a chubby pooge. I know it seems selfish of me to worry about weight but I've always been so weight conscious. It's bad enough I got this preggo looking pooge from gaining 20lbs (before marriage---105 after marriage ---127). I know that it was needed weight (I feel so much better--not dizzy all the time). But it was so nice to look so ...you know..."perfect". Now, I have back-fat, pooge, rolls. It's depressing. But I know all I need is a good exercise plan and at least I can be 127 and toned. But with all of this stuff going on, I know that it will be an on and off exercise plan.

Sorry to ramble. Just one of those things I was curious about because none of this IVF/IUI stuff sounds like fun.
Oh, I have a nice bit of muffin top going on normally too! LOL!  I've been panicking slightly over the recent weight gain because unless I am pregnant, I refuse to grow out of my current clothing size (which is not real small, I assure you!).  It's one thing to wear a maternity top because you've got a bun in the oven... it's an entirely different thing if the only thing in the oven is a Big Mac!

I've been eyeballing those Jenny Craig commercials a little too closely lately!

Sheri
I definitely gained from injections.  I'd say 5-10 lbs.  I remember being so frustrated because I felt like everyone could notice, and all would make assumptions that either 1) I was preg, or 2) I was gaining weight from being depressed about not being preg ...lol!

Hang in there...it will all be worth it when you get that BFP.  I think it's perfectly acceptable to complain about it in the meantime though :)
Right there...on each IVF gained between 5-10 lbs...the progesterone in oil put me over the edge. Esp w/ the FET transfer...it is double the dosage in the good ol' hip section...the meds sure added to my mid and bottom sections...but as mentioned...worth it in the end! :O)
Here is something that made me feel better about my ever growing, non pregnant pooch!  The Nurse Prac. asked me if I was wearing loose pants.  After feeling insulted that she thought I was just a big fatty, she said " Everyone going through a cycle of injectables needs to wear loose fitting clothing.  Your ovaries are expanding and you need to allow room for that !
I hve also packed on the pounds because my RE has limited my exercise.  I can walk and do weights only.  No aerobics or intense exercise due to stress hormones and their effect on fertility.
I usually gain 5-10 pounds during an IVF cycle.  Yet another cruel joke that is part of these treatments.  I think it is partly the meds, partly the restriction of vigorous excercise.
I'm so glad to hear someone else is having that concern.  I started Follistim 5 days ago (1st IUI cycle) and I've put on 3 pounds already.  Worse than the weight though is that my clothes are REALLY tight...especially my pants.  I am so relieved to hear that this is normal and that I am not just becomming a blob.
am doing my second cycle and have gained some wieght am surely not the same weight i was last month  think the injections andbed rest makes you gain.All this wid a feeling of what if? dont know what to expect from this one????/
I'm also glad to read this post.  I think my weight gain has been really extreme (from 179 when we strated injectibles in August 08' to 239 now...yeah, 60 pounds in 8 months!!!).  We've been through four IUI cycles (one was canceled) and are now in the midst of our first IVF cycle.  My hubby is trying to be understanding, and I'm seeing a therapist to try to deal with any emotional issues that could account for the gain, but so far...I'm feeling crappy about this whole process.  I feel the weight gain is a reaction to the massive doses of meds I have to take because I am a poor responded, but the RE says weight gain isn't a side effect of the drugs (Follistim, Menopur, Hcg and previously Luveris).  I'm glad to hear other people are going through some weight gain, too.  If the RE is right, I almost feel like I have to take some time off to get my weight down.  I hate to get pregnant at a weight that could endanger the pregnancy.
I just went through my first round of Gonal-f and Ovidrel and on progesterone right know. I have been bummed for two days my Pant's are tight Im bloated. uhgggg!  I say  AT LEAST 5-10 PDS. And on top of all that I feel like AF is around the corner . Its like I rell my husband I don't mind gaining weight if I were PG cause I then have excuse. But when your not PG you gain weight you just really bummed ... The muffin top feeling is for Betty Crocker not me. lol But I so understand were al of you are coming from.

SSBD >>> To All
We seem to be in the same boat. Started trying back in Nov 08, did 5 cycles of insemination and am on second cycle if IVF, 25 pd so far and my eating habits have not changed!  Very fustrating not to fit in clothes but i think each of us reacts differently to the meds. Got pregnant with first IVF but lost it at 5 weeks so very hopeful for round 2. Will be all worth it when it sticks. In the meantime, wear lose dresses, comfy and you look and feel good