Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
what is a cost for an IUI??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

what is a cost for an IUI??

hi..my insurance dosent cover any fertility treatments and i live in michigan..and me and dh have been TTC for a yr now with no results and my RE suggested that we try the IUI..how is it done? and how much does it cost? and what are my chances on getting preg.? i have tried clomid for 3 cycles with no results and i dont want to waste more time so i want to move on with the next step..any suggestions??
I live in washington state. don't know if prices are that different. But i also have zero insurance coverage for and infertility. I had 3 clomid/IUIs. . .each one including medication, ultrasounds for monitoring(2-3 month), and all my appointments was about $800 a month. my Re only did one IUI each month, I know some do 2. Unfortunately mine didn't work, but i think the timing might have been off. So hope this helps a little. good luck, lots of baby dust.
Did you check to see if your insurance co. carries a supplemental infertility?  I have Pacificare and they cover everything, including meds, accept when you start IVF.
I think its different everywhere. I live in NY and my insurance will cover some..my RE office showd me a sheet with the enitre cost of IUI without meds and it was around 3200.  I did 3 cycles of clomid with no success and this month I am waiting for AF to start injectables with timed intercourse..the meds cost 1600 and the monitoring is still going to cost me around 2000.  It's shocking to me how much this is going to cost..I figure I will take it one cycle at a time..hope this helps..
Hi, I am 26 years old and I get so upset because I am so eager to be a mother. I pray, and pray and no answer from above.  Since I was 15 years old I had irregular periods and my Gyno diagnose me with PCOS, I had one dermoid in each ovary and I had surgery to have those dermoids remove, 2 yrs after I get them again, so I got surgery for the second time.  On April 2005 I went for an ultrasound on August of that same year and found out that I got them again,I was so upset with myself and God, I felt so tired of crying and been depress for same thing. Well, my gyno is now monotoring the dermoids but they are still too small to be remove.  I tried Clomid for 3 cycles before I found out that I got the dermoids for the second time and clomid did not work for me. Then, waited a while (maybe year and half) and the gyno prescribe me clomid, estrodiol and progesterone and it worked, I ovulated but no pregnancy.  I did it for two months and I got so fustrated that I stopped, maybe by the end of this year I will try again, I am glad that CT made the insurance cover for infertility, so now is state law.  I always have to keep in my mind that for the Lord there is nothing in possible.

God Luck to all and may God bless each and every one of you, remember he made us to reproduce, lets claim that and lets keep on fighting for what we want....

I am new to this site or any site for that matter, can I just ask when did your DRs decide to start with clomid or any other testing?  
Hello Want2BeManna
We have been TTC for  2 years and have also undergone 2 months on clomid ( which I found reaally horrible -headaces sick the whole bit ) I have just done my first IUI - insemination was today. From what I understand the IUI can be done with a couple of different methods.I was on injectable hormones nightly and had a blood test on day 7 and then blood tests and U/S every other day which checked my hormone levels and how many folicles my ovaries were making. Last night the nurses told me to take the trigger to release the eggs . Today was a quick and pretty painless procedure to insert my husbands sperm into my uterus. I then have to go back next week and the week after for more blood tests - the first is to test that I did actually ovulate and the second is a pregancy test.

I believe that the IUI can also be done with clomid instead of injectables and have also read of it being done with a normal cycle with your bodies own hormones. I am an Aussie so our costs are very different to those in  the US. My Clinic had a very good booklet explaining everything from clomid to IUI and IVf and the costs associated. Perhaps this is available at your clinic?  My Doc has suggested that the success rate is approx 20% per cycle but this may change from person to person?

I feel much better on the IUI meds than I did on the clomid the worst was was coping with all the injections and blood tests- Iam a bit neddle fobic ! Looking forward to only 2 neddles in the next 2 weeks  - Go for it you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Let me kno how you go and I will kept my fingers and toes crossed for us all.
Hi..I live in Michigan too.  University of Michigan charges just over $800 for IUI, but I don't think that includes the monitoring cost of the U/S and blood work leading up to day of IUI. My insurance pays for all but IUI. I went to a place in Warren that does it for $375, I did all my monitoring and U/S and B/W at U of M, then just to Warren day of IUI. Hope that helps!
Chances of pregnancy depend on how many follicles. If one I think it is 5-7% where 4 follies have a 25% pregnancy rate.
hey thanx for answering me..i posted this message on 7/12 and the beggining of this month i got my first IUI with clomid..its been 2 weeks today and still no af so im hoping this is a good sign...i will call the office on friday early morning to go get blood work if af dosent show by than..i will find out if its BFP or BFN on the same day so its pretty cool...i have been testing since 11dpiui up till yesterday morning and i was getting BFN now i ran out of preg. test and i told  my self i wasent going to buy anymore i will just have to wait...and this time im going to be strong ebough to wait or at least i hope lol i have been having light cramping for the past two days..but nothing is happening no spotting no nothing not sure if its a good sign..ive been pulling out all nigthers like crazy i cant sleep no more..and i still have sore bbs not sure why but anywas i will keep you guys posted thank you again and good luck to you too!!
I am also from MI and I was wondering where in Warren you went to get the IUI?...  Does your insurance pay for the meds or the u/s?  Just an FYI - my RE is in Clinton Twp and they only charge $245 but that doesn't include the meds and u/s...
hey really your RE is in clinton twp too im wondering if we have the same doctor..yeah i know its $245.00..my u/s is covered by my insurance...and the meds clomid i get it for like $15.00 and the trisgger shot for like $38.00 so rougly like $300.00 thas not bad at all.
Mine is Dr. Magyar.  Dr, Hayes is also in office  Who is yours?
mine tooo!!! thas owesome! have u gotten preg. before tru him? my af still hasent showed im planning on testing tomorrow in the morning if no af im having a little cramping like on and off...thas so cool we got the same docs. i feel very confortable with him i just hope he knows whats best!!
keep in touch, and GL.
How funny!!  I havent' gotten pg thru him yet, but his has really been proactive.  He was the one who did surgery and found endometriosis.  I go in on Friday morning for my second to last Lupron injection.  Then, in a few months it's on to IUI again.
I know lots of people who have had great luck with him from IUI and IVF.  I was referred to him by a coworker who just had her first little girl.
Who is your fav. nurse?  Mine is Jeanette - she is AWESOME!!
Mine too!!!! she is a sweet heart!! yea i was referred to him from my brother next door neigbour who had her 2 kids by IVF and now after 6 yrs preg. the old fashioned way!! its owesome..i just took a preg. test tonite and im not sure what to make of it i will wait to test again in the morning..and than decide if im going to call the office to go get blood work...my af was due on the 13th but today it makes me 14dpiui and cd30 and i went to use the bathroom and when i wiped it was pink..so not sure whats going on we will see tomorrow morning..good luck to you keep in touch!!
I saw your other post - soudns VERY promising!  Good Luck!!!!!!  I'm crossing my fingers for you!

p.s. By the Way - Did Jeanette do your IUI this month???
yeah she did!! but i think im out! i dont know yesterday i could see the line today i dont..its almost 6 am and i just tested and nothing..plus i still got cramps like af and i had pink on my pad and when i wiped i think its just af honestly so no BFP for me this month..im still going to call the office today to figure out what i should do...and than off for a second IUI i go...im kind of bumbed out but nothing in life comes this easy for me..so im kind of used to it...i just gotta go on to the next step..thas all i can really do..and just take it from there..keep in touch ok
have a great day!

Don't lose hope yet, you never know!
Oh, and when I went in for my IUI's (I had2) the nurse (cindy) told me that she rarely sees it work the first time for some reason... you will get your BFP soon...
..and nothing comes easy for me, either.  A the time I found out I has Endo, about 9000 other things were going wrong!  Hang in there.
thinking of you
FYI - If you go in tomorrow for a Beta at 10, I'll be there!  :)  I have to get a Lupron injection then.  
hey so u have had 2 IUI's?  did you just recently did the second one? well i called this morning i will be going in tomorrow morning at 9 for a clomid check and talk to the doctor to see if i should do another round of clomid with IUI just this last time it was my 4th round of clomid so im not sure what i can do after this i guess i will find out tomorrow yeah maybe ill see you there if i dont leave by the time you come usually thay are pretty fast thas what i like about it i dont have to sit there 4 ever ya know! im trying to stay positive this would have been the perfect bday and anniversary gift ever!!
I had 2 IUI's in Feb and March.  Neither worked, so I asked Dr Magyar to do a laparoscopy in April.. That's when he found the endo.  I'm on Lupron for 6 months, and I can't TTC again until November or Dec.
ohh ok i see..well what is the Lupron suppost to do? im not familiar with that medication sorry...when you are going to try again you going to have to take clomid? im sorry for the questions just to understand better.
No problem!  The Lupron supresses Estrogen and put me in a stage like menopause.  This is supposed to shrink the endometriosis and stop more from forming.  I think we will be clear to try in Nov.
Good luck to you!! I hope you really do have your BFP this month!!!
hey thanx! oh ok now i get it...ill let u know what Dr. says tomorrow.
How was your appt?  Did you get the results yet??  
Cindy gave me the injection today - not my fav nurse - she tends to hurt!
But, I must have been in the room where the daddies go - lot-o- Playboys in there!!!  :)  (last room on the left side of office).  Cindy informed me that the Dearborn office was much better - they have videos even.. hehe.. :)
hey you my appt went good..but i left a little bit confused..im moving on into gonal and ovidrel injections..i was told i need to go back on monday for an U/S and start my injections today...i had to call fertility lifelines to order the meds and they will deliver it to me tomorrow by noon via fedex and im suppost to put them in the fridge..i dint get if im suppost to do clomid again with it..i have no idea..now this time just for the meds i paid like $307.00 plus theres a charge of $220.00 for monitoring and blood tests and u/s my insurance coves..plus it will be followed by the IUI which again is $245.00 so it will be appro. like $770.00 plus my any copays so im thinking more around about $1,000.00 but if it works it wont be a problem..ya know i just hope its not money wasted..how did your appt go? i went in late my alarm dint go off so i went in at 10:45 instead..lol anywas i hope you have a great weekend its beautiful outside!!!
My appointment was fine.  Finally made an appt to meet with Dr Magyar about what we do next.  VERY excited to move on with this process. I left at 10:40 - just missed ya! :)
That sucks that you have to pay for meds.  Luckily my insurance pays for everything but the actual procedure, so I only have to pay the $245.  We paid it twice, and it feels like I flushed $500 down the toilet!!  Hopefully we will be congratulating each other soon, though!
I live in Texas.  Texas is one of three states that shy away from fetility benefits.  I used ARC (Advanced reproductive Care) www.arcfertility.com.  They are awesome.  They will provide you with info about their different packages.  I ordered my meds from www.ivfmeds.com.(suggested by my doctor).  My meds were shipped from Europe within 3 days.  I paid $800.  I would have had to pay thousands just for meds.  I'm actually glad I used them because I only used half of my meds.  I take my preg. test on Thursday.  If it is postive, I will bless (give away) any patient needing it.
hey what insurance do you have that pays for eveything?? i want to find out if i can get an insurance that can pay for me too...rite now i get insurance tru my DH work and dont basically dont pay much...i would like to find out if you can tell me...thank you.
ohh yeah we did miss each other..well hopefully Dr. Magyar will give u good news!
I have BC/BS PPO (Community Blue).  I'm a teacher and it's through my work.  It's been really good as far as paying for any treatments, u/s etc that I need.  
I have blue cross blue shield federal.. it doesn't cover the cost of the IUI but it does cover the cost of u/s, RE visits, meds and testing.  With all of that covered, the actual IUI cost was $300.

When I first looked into it, it was kind of confusing because the booklet said it didn't cover IUI, IVF or any ART treatments... I assumed that it meant I paid for everything, but infact, i paid for very little.  

Best of luck to you..
I also thought is was going to be 100% up to us for all procedures.  I even called BC/BS and it was really confusing, but my doc just basically billed everything and when ins didn't cover, I paid.  I feel lucky that it has covered what it has, but I'm worried that if I need more, I won't be able to afford it.  Even multiple IUI's really start to add up!!
Hi there,
I m new to this site n wana get IUI done, can u pls tell me the address whr u got IUI done. I dont hav any insurance so wud like to know the approximate expenditure on it. Thanks..
mine will cost me 525 a cycle
Thanks Dear, I m in a process of gettin IUI done so finding out where it is good n convinent on my budget.
I've also heard some people say 200-300 but I don't think that included the cost of u/s monitoring, which my ins won't cover for infertility
try to get kaiser. my husbands insurense had 2 opyions blue cross or kaiser. when we has blue cross,,,, no coverage... now we have kaiser and we have FULL coverage... they didnt tell us this and actually his union stated that neithe had any coverage, but sure enough after we got kaiser we checked and we only have $25 co-pays.... so excited after 10 years of waiting now we can try infertility treatments!!!!

good luck to you!!!
Starting my first round of Clomid this month. Husband has low sperm mobility, so im hoping we can do this all without IUI or IVF we have been ttv for about 1 year. not that long of a time, but when you want it so bad it seems much longer. Im so scared that it wont work this month AGAIN. Is there some type of support system out there?! My husband is even more upset, we pray all the time hoping god will bless us with our own baby. But if not, i suppose adoption is ok. I don't really like the idea of IVF because i don't like that they save my left over eggs. I feel maybe i might have children implanted into someone else and never know about it . :S lol. I suppose if this doesn't work IUI is next pleaseeeee god help us! And everyone else that is in this kinda pain.
My wife and I also decided to give IUI a go recently. We've done a whole lot of reading to try and understand what it is. An article at http://ivf-info.org/what-is-iui helped us a lot. It seems though that IUI is only helpful in a small number of cases where the cause of infertility is one that can be overcome by IUI, e.g., something like low sperm motility or thick cervical fluid. Otherwise IVF is the only option. So it looks like you really need to know exactly what the cause of infertility is before deciding which option is right for you.

Best of luck.
Hello, where is your RE located in clinton township?
Where is your RE located in clinton township?